Iberianature Forum

Creationism, Neo-creationism, Intelligent Design, etc.

• 47 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59 AM »
Dear all,
I ve been watching this thread with some interest thinking it might get seriously outrageous with peoples views and I cant find TPs (To be continued) piece so where are you all at on this one?
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 12:16 PM »
Dear SueMac and All,
The reason the second part has not been forthcoming (yet) is that I have been spending most of my spare (and work) time on wild gooooooose chases gooooogling for "white fluffy balls" and variations on the theme, and which I am slowly beginning to realise was all part of a dastardly plot by SueMac and Lisa (the female of the species, etc. etc.) - and probably in cohorts with the powers-that-be at the iberianature forum - to keep me off certain politically-incorrect issues which were beginning to get off the ground, and take shape nicely, thank you very much.

Just watch my smoke (from me twelve-bore)! 8)

Regs.
Technopat >:D >:D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:29 AM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 23:09 PM »
Don't suppose Creationists will be interested in this. From; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6064364.stm

"The complete works of one of history's greatest scientists, Charles Darwin, are being published online.
The project run by Cambridge University has digitised some 50,000 pages of text and 40,000 images of original publications - all of it searchable.

Darwin Online features many newly transcribed or never-before-published manuscripts written by the great man.

These include a remarkable field notebook from his famous Beagle voyage to the Galapagos Islands, where detailed observations of the wildlife would later forge his scientific arguments.

At the moment the site contains about 50% of the materials that will be provided by 2009, the bicentenary of the naturalist's birth.

"The family has always wanted Darwin's papers and manuscripts available to anyone who wants to read them. That everyone around the world can now see them on the web is simply fantastic," said Mr Keynes. "

As if I didn't have enough to do....
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 23:40 PM »
http://darwin-online.org.uk/

:o
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 23:03 PM »
Greetings Lisa,
Many thanx for that great   awful   new link - I'll wade through it in order to be able to use it all in evidence against you all come judgement day!  >:D
Sleeve-rolling regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Greetings All,
I have just been introduced to the 21st Century's latest religion and am seriously considering becoming an adept - if it ain't incompatible with being an iberianatureforumer, that is.

This link will open up a whole new meaning to life for those of you who are tired of the humdrum world we live in and blah, blah ...

Always on the look-out for Creative Adjustments regs.
Technopat

Ps.
Not sure whether it belongs on the Tapas board ...

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 14:30 PM »
So, we are all midgits (sic)  :lighttbulb:
and perfectly compatible with (some) Iberianatureforummers the rate we're going  ::)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 13:56 PM »
Greetings All,
As evolution must necessarily lead to the eventual demise or adapted survival of a living species, and the fact that this thread needed reviving - don't want it to go the way of so many other great iberianatureforum threads that end up in a corner, looking like one of  Dave's Typical Tapas from Leon, a mugshot of which is available through this iberianature forum link - I thought the following Guinness ad. would tie in nicely with what we've recently been debating at the other iberianature forum board on multinationals or intercontinental trade, etc. as well as serving as a virtual pick-me-up for those of us here on the Iberian Peninsula unable to get hold of a decent pint.  :banghead:

Regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 14:08 PM by Technopat »

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Cheers TP (pic of smiley raising a dark glass)  :biggrin:, makes me want to take up drinking again  :o
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 15:15 PM »
Greetings All,
I'm sure that if someone other than yours truly were to put in a request to our Great and Wise etceteras for an animated, beer-or-wine-quaffing-and/or-toasting smiley (so we don't have to waste precious time typing out the word Cheers!), it would be forthcoming on everyone's return from the hols.  :technodevil:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 07:03 AM »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Hola,

The smilies are breeding. Darwins teeth what next!

I have a smiley destroy script at my disposal......

Clive
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:42 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 01:02 AM »
Lisa,
Re. your

:-* I love yooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! :-*If you can keep the secret, so can I! :dancing:

Regs.
Technopat
Ps.
You've just convinced me - evolution is out - Long Live Intelligent Design!  :dancing:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 01:23 AM »
Greetings Oh Great and Wise Etceteras,
Great Darwin! I hit the post button instead of the preview button on my last - is there any chance that history can get to be re-written and that my last disappears from hyperspace before someone at either Lisa's end or mine gets wind of what goes on here at iberianatureforum?

Paraphrasing Murphy's Law a bit, What can be misinterpreted will be misinterpreted, and I'm sure Lisa will agree with me when I say that we owe it to all you iberianatureforumers out there to keep Lisa's ongoing battle of wits wiv me very much alive and kicking  :dancing: in order to solve the age-old dilemma of which of the two whatevers of the species is ... whatever ...  :technodevil:

Don't worry if nothing can be done about it - I shall take what's coming to me as if I were a macho ibérico :dancing:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 07:56 AM »
So will I (winking smilie - daren't put another one in yet.)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 01:01 AM »
Greetings Fellow (and Fellowess) iberianatureforumers,
Today's featured article on Wikipedia  is an ancestor of Clive's Gus the Griffon:

Archaeopteryx is the earliest and most primitive known bird to date. It lived in the late Jurassic Period around 155-150 million years ago in what is now southern Germany. At the time Archaeopteryx lived, Europe was an archipelago of islands in a shallow warm tropical sea, much closer to the equator than it is now. Archaeopteryx had feathers and wings, but it also had teeth and a skeleton similar to a small carnivorous dinosaur; therefore, it had both bird and theropod dinosaur features. Similar in size and shape to a European Magpie, it bore broad, rounded wings and a long tail. Archaeopteryx could grow to about half a metre, or 1.6 feet in length. Its feathers resembled the flight feathers of modern birds, suggesting not only capacity for flight, but also homoiothermy. Otherwise, its features were reptilian, with jaws lined with sharp teeth, three 'fingers' ending in curved claws and a long bony tail. These features, which are consistent with theropod dinosaurs, made Archaeopteryx a hot topic in the debate on evolution. Many have seen it as a true 'missing link'. In 1862 the description of the first intact specimen of Archaeopteryx, just two years after Charles Darwin published The Origin of Species, set off a firestorm of debate about evolution and the role of transitional fossils that endures to this day. The eleven fossils currently classified as Archaeopteryx are the oldest evidence of feathers on the planet and the only ones dated from Jurassic times.

But its importance to us (or at any rate, some of us) Darwinists or Darwinians - I can never remember what I am - 'ere at the iberianatureforum is its role as the "true missing link".

Remember the Archangel Gabriel's feather? :technodevil:

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 13:38 PM »
Greetings All,
Just an update on a centuries-long debate re. the meaning of life - from the Beeb:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7021358.stm

Regs.
Technopat
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 14:04 PM by Technopat »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 20:30 PM »
Greetings All,
And for those of us you who don't believe in conspiracy theories:
Un cura obtiene el mayor premio académico del mundo por probar supuestamente la existencia de Dios
El religioso obtiene el millón de euros del Premio Templeton, criticado por su orientación religiosa y conservadora

Un cura y matemático polaco se ha embolsado el premio académico mejor dotado del mundo por un estudio que supuestamente muestra cómo las matemáticas pueden ofrecer pruebas indirectas de la existencia de Dios, según The Times. El religioso es el profesor Michael Heller, de 72 años, un filósofo especializado en matemáticas y metafísica, y ayer recibió los 1.069.000 del galardón, concedido por la Fundación Templeton en Nueva York.

La investigación de Heller "ha ampliado el horizonte metafísico de la ciencia", según fuentes de la Fundación Templeton, que desde hace 35 años concede el premio al Progreso hacia la investigación o desarrollo de realidades espirituales. La cantidad del premio se ajusta anualmente para seguir siendo mayor que la del Premio Nobel, concedido por la Fundación Nobel.

Un premio muy controvertido
La Fundación Templeton ha sido criticada por su supuesta proximidad a la ideología conservadora y por defender la teoría del diseño inteligente para explicar la evolución. Una de las voces más críticas con la Fundación Templeton es la del biólogo evolucionista británico Richard Dawkins, autor de El espejismo de Dios, ensayo en el que proporciona argumentos científicos para desarmar cualquier forma de religión. Dawkins describe el premio como "una suma de dinero muy grande… que se concede normalmente a un científico dispuesto a decir algo bueno sobre la religión".
ELPAÍS.com - Madrid - 13/03/2008
Full article at:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/sociedad/cura/obtiene/mayor/premio/academico/mundo/probar/supuestamente/existencia/Dios/elpepusoc/20080313elpepusoc_11/Tes

You-ain't-seen-nuffin'-yet regs.,
Technopat

Offline peanut

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 13:08 PM »
Slartybartfast was the Norwegian fjord expert and I have spent the last 20 odd(?) years thinking the answer was 42! Didn't Deep Thought come into it with 6 X 7? Or was that the homonids?
....... and I nearly turned veggie with the restaurant at the end of the universe
Loved the bit about the saintly relics TP!

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 23:20 PM »
Greetings All,
While some of you were out there today/this weekend sniffin' at orchids and/or getting yer 100-odd km/day in the saddle/20-odd km/day of wear ‘n’ tear on yer hiking boots, and probably getting sunburnt, yours truly was bashing away at the keyboard and turning up gems such as the link page at the Sociedad Española de Biología Evolutiva (Spanish Society of Evolutionary Biology) which gives several, mainly English language, websites, including this very interesting one:

Misconceptions about natural selection and adaptation
by the Understanding Evolution team at the University of California Museum of Paleontology (Berkeley) and the National Center for Science Education.

All this came about ‘cos I came across an article by the President of above mentioned Spanish Society, Manuel Soler, in a back issue (late February 2008) of El País* in which he denounced the strategy to introduce Intelligent Design in Spin through conferences at universities – which can then later be referred to in future references as scientific events. This is just the beginning, amig@s mi@s...

*actually I came across it at my favourite Spanish-language science website, El Escéptico Digital and which contains much interesting reading on the subject but it was first published in El País.

Regs.,
Technopat

It includes a fascinating interview, originally publiched in ABC, by one of Spain’s most illustrious Men of Science, Francisco Ayala (see CV at Wikipedia ) – no relation to the famous writer from Granada of the same name -

-Hablemos del diseño inteligente. Usted lo desenmascara como una componenda innecesaria entre Creación y Evolución...

-Es que a estas alturas el diseño inteligente no intenta conciliar nada, lo que hace es negar que la evolución se pueda explicar científicamente. Entre sus promotores sólo hay un científico que además no es evolucionista sino bioquímico, Michael Behe. Behe, a diferencia de otros, por lo menos acepta la Evolución en general, pero hace una propuesta completamente ridícula: que Dios interviene de vez en cuando para crear entidades que no podrían aparecer solas. Por ejemplo, el flagelo de las bacterias. O el sistema de coagulación de la sangre en los mamíferos. O el sistema inmune. Bueno, pues todos estos pasos evolutivos resulta que están perfecta y científicamente explicados.

-No hace falta que baje Dios a coagular la sangre...

-Bueno, es que si el diseño inteligente es científicamente un disparate, desde el punto de vista religioso es mucho peor: es directamente una blasfemia. Atribuye a Dios el haber diseñado algunos organismos tan mal, tan mal, que un ingeniero hace eso y le despiden. ¿Cómo vas a responsabilizar a Dios de que la mandíbula humana sea demasiado pequeña para contener todos los dientes, y haya que sacar las muelas del juicio? Cuando eso se explica perfectamente por el aumento del cerebro: a medida que éste aumenta disminuye la mandíbula, esa es la explicación.

-A lo mejor en el mundo falta... ¿humildad evolutiva?

-Ningún defensor del diseño inteligente es un buen teólogo. Empiezan con una buena actitud: creen que la ciencia es materialista y lleva a la negación de Dios. Entonces, como han estudiado la evolución de manera superficial, escriben estos libros llenos de barbaridades. Son unos ignorantes que por defender a Dios le señalan como al mayor abortista del mundo. Cada año mueren cientos de miles de niños al nacer, y de madres al dar a luz, porque el canal del parto humano todavía no está suficientemente adaptado al crecimiento del cerebro. Hay más de 20 millones de abortos espontáneos cada año en los dos primeros meses de gestación por la imperfecta segregación de cromosomas...