Iberianature Forum

Technopat

• 31 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: April 29, 2007, 00:52 AM »
Greetings All,
Had been dreading this moment - but now that it's arrived, shall not shirk my resp. (remember that crack 'bout **** expects that every man person do his/her duty?).

As you all know, it's almost imp. for me to be telegraphic, but will try: I belong to that relatively rare species that has lived in this amazing country far longer than in my own (passing ref. only), but I can honestly say that hardly a day goes by without somebody or something here surprising me in one way or another.

I must admit that there had been a time, not so long ago, when I had had very firm views on not joining a forum on internet. Then one day, following up a long shot and looking for references to trees in Sp., I tripped over the iberianature web site and realised I had come across a goldmine. From there, to joining the forum was but a whatchumacallit.

At one point I was pretty much convinced that I was addicted to the forum, as I found myself spending a lot of my spare time here, fascinated by the variety of stuff appearing on the threads, but as the definition of addiction refers to doing something that one considers bad and NOT wanting to do it, it is clear that such is not my case.

My interests include all things related to nature (one of the most amazing things known to mankind), food and especially 'shrooms (but am too aware of my own lack of knowledge to ever pick any - much prefer looking at them in their own environment).

I live in the centre of Madrid, and do my best to escape, along with some 3.5 m other inhabitants, and invade the countryside at weekends, but do take great care to leave it as I found it and to instill a respect for nature in my two kids.

That's just about it, for now, but if anything else develops, will add it to the thread. That's what threads are for.

Many thanx to y'all for posting such interesting stuff.
Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Nick, once again, for his initiative in setting this thing up - and for putting up with me, this latter consideration extensible to all iberianature forumers!
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 15:30 PM »
Greetings All  :),

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing-wax -
Of cabbages - and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot -
And whether pigs have wings."

(The Walrus and the Carpenter - Lewis Carroll)

The time has come, indeed  >:D! The last line of the above classic more than justifies it being included on this 'ere great forum, but given the ever-wider-ranging topics and tangents appearing, I reckon it's time to make a long-overdue disclaimer, especially as some of these (future) topics may verge on the politically incorrect and/or potentially sensitive.  >:D

Technopat's Disclaimer:
I'd like to make it perfectly clear that any comments of mine made on this forum - either past or future - are my own responsibility and are made with no intention whatsoever to make anyone feel slighted in the slightest, except when I play the Devil's Advocate >:D, in which case: Look Out!

If anyone should feel offended, as a result of yours truly having made what may be considered a below-the-belt or over-the-top comment, I apologise in advance. It goes without saying it is the words I'm having a go at and not the person. It further g. w. saying that the iberianature forum cannot be held responsible for the personal views of one of its members, to wit, moi, to use a fellow forumer's luvely expression.

That said, if you disagree with any statement I make, please feel free to argue it out with me - I'm a pretty reasonable sort of chap and quite willing to accept that I may be wrong and you may be right ;D. I have in fact been known to change my opinionated point of view regarding many a couple of things. And even if we can't reach a compromise on a particular subject, I'm sure we can at least maintain a fluid "dialogue" on many of the other subjects available for discussion on the forum.

Think that just 'bout covers it!

Regs.
Technopat  >:D >:D
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 18:53 PM »
Hi Tecnopat
I have never once been offended by your comments, as to the other 80+, who knows, it is always good to have an angle on as many subjects as possible, as to Devils Advocate  >:D, surely he only acts a part, as in the RC canonization process of which I know zilch, so are your words the true Technopat or just a mask for a warm cuddly human being.
As you wrote on my intro. pleased to be getting to know you.
Regards
Dave

Simon

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hi Techno, had someone trodden on your foot, why so touchy? The forum would be e lesser place without your, shall we say, specialities!

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Greetings All,
Re: touchiness - not at all - just rolling me sleeves up for future frays, forays topics! >:D

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Dear TPat
What I want to know is how you you managed to be a professional googler?Intrigued SueMac
ps which funny face should I use here for "intrigued"?
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 00:36 AM »
Greetings All,
Time for an update - given the recent development in my iberianatureforum status, I think a puesta al día is called for. Especially as the powers-that-be do seem to insist on some sort of acknowledgement. As usual, they'll end up having bitten off more than they can chew and wishing that they'd let sleeping dogs lie!

My natural modesty prevents me from saying that such a distinction is naturally due to my unparalleled knowledge and insight on all things natural and nature-related issues, so I’ll just be true to character, upfront and cool about it :dancing: and confess that it’s simply due to my spending the better part of the day (and night) working on/from a PC (two, in fact) – and count yerselves lucky that neither of my Macs now have a working internet connection! The upshot is that I login to switch off – usually coinciding with a cuppa if it’s during the day, or an apple if it’s at night. Said need to switch off occasionally could be partly responsible for my tendency to go off on tangents to the original content of a thread. The other part is explained by the fact that I’m a ramblin’ man.

Para mayor inri (Eng. anyone?), my concientiousness in fulfilling the role of the iberianatureforum’s self-appointed Devil’s Avocado also requires me to be in there, poised for action and ready to barge in at the slightest hint of nonsense creeping into what is otherwise [usually and potentially?] a pretty serious, thought-provoking and knowledgeable forum. I like to think it also keeps Our Great and Wise Administrators on their toes rather than just resting on their laurels (Sp. anyone).

While in this humble vein, must say that, although the mindless stats. on absolute numbers of contributions do suggest otherwise, being on this forum has clearly resulted in a net benefit to me, as I have learnt far more ‘bout many more things from all you iberianatureforumers out there (rumour has it that some of you do actually exist in the flesh) than to what I have contributed with my natural charm, wit, common sense and deep knowledge of nature, etc. (see above). For that, and for the future, I thank ye all.

This ‘ere great iberianatureforum was also directly responsible for my having become almost addicted to something for the first time in my life (my fault, caught me unawares – have since learnt to control my near-addiction and hitherto-unsuspected character weakness) and the consequent drop in my productivity, from which I am gradually recovering. A very recent 2-week trip to the LOG confirmed that I could live without my daily dose without any ill effect although a nature-related incident did get my fingers itching for the keyboard and almost regretting having left my laptops (and cellphone) behind. Fortunately it took place the day before returning to Madrid, so I didn’t have to suffer too long before satisfying the urge.

Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
‘Spose it’s time to come clean and confess that while the Technodevil  :technodevil: is well-earned, the Technopat moniker itself is a misnomer, result of a private joke between a friend who is an internationally-renowned computer/internet pioneer and myself, and although I am in fact a very early user of IT (only at said friend’s insistence) am actually still at the mechanical typewriter stage in terms of gadgets and evolutionary and technological mindset. That is, I still have a Nikon FM (mechanically-operated, bayonet mounted interchangeable lens, 35 mm film, single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. I do not have an MP3, or a scanner (although the kids now do – so maybe I can get them to upload those images of that urban fox/whippet in central London) and have only recently started using the mobile phone and refuse to have Bluetooth or GPS installed in the car. But don’t get me wrong – I do not have anything against progress per se., it’s just that I’m personally satisfied with what I’ve got, as long as it works. Said reluctance to benefit from the advantages of mod. cons. is probably the direct result of having had to carry what was probably the first generation of bleepers around back in the late 70s/early 80s, when most of you were probably still in nappies, or knee-high to grasshoppers or not even twinkles in your respective parents' eyes.

Pps.
As I think I mentioned elsewhere, if you happen to be at the receiving end of an uncalled-for retort or below-the-belt comment, please don’t take it personally. Rest assured that it is but the playful banter of someone who has regretted many of the things he has said in the past and regretted not having said many others (that’s too good to be my own). :technodevil:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:08 AM »
I like that. Who did say it?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 13:17 PM »
Top of head stuff:

" I wish I'd said that!"

"You will Shaw, you will"

. . .

"I wish I hadn't said that!"

"You did Wilde, you did!"

Anyone recognize this?

Simes

Simon

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 14:20 PM »
Now then, now then, now then! I’ve exercising the grey stuff, a bad idea at any time.

Your ‘quotation’, Techno, has a familiar ring, something like a certain one-hundred-and-twelfth birthday speech made to an invited audience of 144, shall we say, persons, before the orator ‘disappeared!

Go on, Techno, admit it; deep in your deepest skeleton cupboard you’ve got a Tee-shirt with ‘Gandalf for President’ printed on it!

Tee Hee

Simon

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Congratulations Methuselah TP  :clapping: Here's to the next 2,000.

(Tried to post this last night from my new mobile but haven't got the hang of it yet  :banghead:)
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 13:46 PM »
Greetings All,
Thanx for that, Lisa - well on my way, our Oh Great and Wise Etceteras notwithstanding.*  :dancing:

Simon,
Sorry to disappoint you (?), but I've never been able to generate much interest in Tolkien - I read The Hobbit c. 1969, and found it entertaining - though I did try on a couple of occasions to start LOR, just couldn't get into it. Too prejudiced by my opinions of the author and all the hype, etc.. I knew a lot about Beowulf, etc., and he did admit
"Beowulf is among my most valued sources…"
. No offence meant, of course,* but it's bit like listening to Luis Cobos' ** arrangement of a Mozart piece.  >:D

*seriously concerned 'bout getting my account blocked
**or for those of you new to Spain, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Sir?)

I'm outta here before I tread on too many toes in one posting :technodevil:

Regs.,
Technopat

Ps.
That said, there is a valid argument in making art forms accessible to encourage further interest, but there are limits  :technodevil:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 14:54 PM by Technopat »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 16:17 PM »
Greetings All,
Update on Technopat monicker/misnomer:
three people (not iberianatureforumers - there is a real world out there, unfortunately(?)!) having asked this week whether the Techno in Technopat refers to techno as in electronic dance music, I feel that it might need clearing up.
The short and simple answer is most decidely NO!
As SueMac has already pointed out elsewhere, I am something of a snob when it comes to music - and needless to say, many other things - and (no offence meant to its fans) I actually abhor electronic dance music - the word music there is a misnomer if ever there was one... >:D
Kind regards,
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 05:52 AM »
Ageing process confirmed - connotation hadn't occurred to me....and the Guardia Civil are getting younger  :(
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Younger-looking, pimpled traffic cops or bank clerks I can cope with - it's when the heart surgeon or airline pilot looks as if s/he isn't old enough to vote * that people of my age start worrying!

* or if male, even to shave

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 17:57 PM »
HI TP
Congratulations on your 2000th post 2001st post
regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 18:00 PM »
2001 an iberianature forum odyssey

:)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 21:14 PM »
Greetings Clive 'n' Dave,
Thanx for the ánimos.
Maybe that spellchecker needs tweaking - shouldn't that read iberianatureforum oddity?  :technodevil:
My daily average has slipped a bit over recent months (work sometimes gets the better of me), but don't worry - only a temporary glitch in the works - will soon be back Technodevillin' away like billy-o (Sp. anyone?)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 21:23 PM »
tecnologicodiablisimo rapido como loco

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 21:27 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 06:12 AM »
Clive, you forgot the important "un" in that  >:D
Congrat's Tp you old intocable you - here's to the next 1,000.......(no, better not  :))
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa