Author Topic: Email Alerts  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
Email Alerts
« on: June 18, 2007, 19:19 PM »
Nick or Clive
As you may, or may not, have noticed, I have been less active of late, due to lots of reasons. The point is, is there anyway that you can set up an Email alert to members, when a new topic or reply is posted on the web site. Obviously this would have to be by request, not automatic, as it could result in an avalanche of mail, especially when TP is up late/early. I find if I do not go on the website for a few days, I have to trawl through every topic heading to find the latest posts, which although interesting can be a little time consuming. I am not sure if this is possible, but I have to ask.
Regards
Dave

Iberianature Forum

Email Alerts
« on: June 18, 2007, 19:19 PM »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
Re: Email Alerts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 23:03 PM »
Hola Dave,

I will look into the options...I know there is an RSS feed addon but what would be really good would be some kind of daily or weekly email digest that could be opted into...

Of course you can set your notifications in your profile to receive emails for answers to posts that you have made....(Notifications and emails link in your profile).

I also make use of the images on the left of the home page that tell you whether a post has been made in that board...The portrait one means no new posts and the scenery means new posts in that board...

Also at the very bottom is the link for latest posts but that is only usefull if there are just a few latest posts..

I'll check stuff out at the SMF website to see what else is on offer

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 23:32 PM »
Hola,

OK, a quick search of the SMF development site tell me that there is a plan for the future for some kind of email digest system but that won't be for a while yet as the 2.0 version of SMF is still being developed.

There are a couple of RSS feed add ons but they don't seem to be very stable

I was wondering, Dave, are you using the two most important links at the top left of the forum by where it says "Hey Dave you have X messages etc and have been logged in for 42 years and 20 minutes...."

The two links are "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts".

If you can't see the above then try clicking the small white arrow in a little blue box that is top left and directly under the "I" of Iberianature....

Clive
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 23:34 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 23:57 PM »
Greetings Oh Great and Wise and so on, aka Clive,
Many thanx for pointing out that funny little white arrow - my natural lack of curiosity and general mistrust of  all things technical/technological had prevented me from clicking it, por si las moscas (Sp. anyone?).

This cool discovery means I can actually attend to other equally (?) pressing matters, such as family and work, AND gives all you poor iberianatureforumers a sporting chance of catching up with my 57 days 15 hours and 39 minutes hooked up to the forum  :poketongue: .

Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Hi Clive
They all seem to be more or less what I was looking for
Thank you very much
Regards
Dave