Where is everybody?

• 9 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: March 12, 2017, 20:41 PM »
Where is everybody? I am here but I am afraid the forum is very slow now what with twitter and facebook controlling everything..... :)

(I split this topic from Petreas original about the first orchids of the season)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 23:01 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 22:20 PM »
Too bad if that´s the explanation! Facebook is soooo badly organized! Dammit!  :banghead:
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline BrenJ

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41 AM »

Hi Petrea,

Facebook has many wonderful fauna and flora sites now. Some very interesting groups on there, and experts to id everything. It is unfortunate for this forum. I don't do twitter though! People post links to their blogs too.

Haven't seen you for ages.

Brenda

Offline Juan-P

• Saved this serin!
    • Knowall's Awesome Almería
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 22:42 PM »
I look in here virtually every day and the two blog type threads tend to dominate the recent posts which have made the forum rather tiresome. I've found this forum so interesting over the years. Forums seem to be on the wane generally, I think, which is just part of the evolution of the Internet.
Thanks to you Clive -  for providing this platform which, through excellent knowledgeable posters, has answered lots of queries and raised some really interesting issues over the years.  :clapping:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 22:59 PM »
The trouble with facebook is that you can't easily search older posts.... especially important if you are id ing something and you want to go back over something....

I set up an auto post system some time ago Juan P.... It was supposed to take feeds from interesting blogs but didnt quite work out how I wanted--- :)

I agree that this is a natural evolution of the internet and so it should be, but, this forum will always be here and even pages and topics from years ago are still being read by many people... Especially the pine processionary topic amongst others.....

We'll see what happens when facebook introduces it's payment charges to private users... Something that is bound to happen in the future I am sure.....

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 23:53 PM »
So, I have been having a look and it looks like I will be "fiddling" with this forum soon.... I think that one issue we have is that the theme is not responsive so doesn't work on mobile devices, tablets etc very well... Facebook integration etc etc etc... Guess it's time to drag IberiaNature forum into the 22nd century :)

One thing is for sure, there is so much amazing info on here in past topics that it is too good to lose (and I have thought about closing the forum from time to time...)

Any suggestions or ideas as to how we move forward, please post away in this topic...

Offline BrenJ

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13 AM »

I agree Clive that there is a lot of interesting references from past posts to still indulge in. Much easier to find on here than facebook.

Brenda

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Brenda, 
Facebook has many wonderful fauna and flora sites now.
you told us that before, and it is not that I doubt your words, but " many" is just the wrong keyword for me. The more the worse! Not only Facebook, the whole internet is full of wonderful nature sites, and the day is not long enough to follow them all - and I do not want to spend all day in front of the PC. So, what do we cut out? Of course the messy ones (like Facebook) first of all. I completely agree with Clive: it is too tedious to find old posts, so: life is simply too short to waste on that! Follow a link to Facebook? You´ll be disappointed!

Most blogs are too personal, in my opinion. (Agree with Juan P: the blog updates can be disturbing, when I follow by RSS feeds). That´s why I prefer a good forum.  Iberianatureforum is unique!  sign

It is really a pity that everything nowadays have to be squeezed into the smaller screens of tablets and iPhones. That ruins a lot. And I suspect that is behind Google´s assasination of the unique Picasaweb last summer! Now they just offer their Google Photo site, which jams your photos into something which is more like a collage than a proper album! (if I wanted a collage, I would prefer to make it myself!)  I stopped paying them for extra storage on that account!  >:(

I hope Clive is right that Facebook will start to charge private users. Then we´ll see how much people really like it!

A nasty thought: maybe what we see here is a variety of the trend  spotted in American politics.........    No, no, not really   (?) or...  :technodevil:

Clive, won´t it be a work for several people to ensure that the site will work on all these devices? It is just too easy to to destroy something good, and difficult to make something better. If the Iberianatureforum still has got many readers, even with only few new posts, then perhaps best to just let it keep running, at least as long as this is true, accepting the present low level of new activity?

It is now 8 years ago, I found Iberianatureforum, because it kept popping up, when searching for info about the nature here. I believe that it will continue to do so, when other people are searching.

Thanks to Clive, as well at other contributors, for all their hard work for many years!  sign

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:50 AM by Petrea »
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 15:54 PM »
Nice comments Petrea - Thankyou.

Right now I am struggling to save my work machine that has suffered badly from the latest windows 10 update and has died in the most horrible way. I seem to have lost the last weeks intensive work (including the new ibnat forum code which took me time to write and I don't have a backup from the last week) and so I'm a bit peeved at the moment :)

However, in the next couple of weeks I hope to find the time to rebuild the forum here with a new mobile responsive theme and some other funky stuff...

The new forum layout will hopefully look good on all platforms instead of just on a desktop computer.

I know that there are a lot of facebook groups out there but if someone posts a picture of a plant for id and people answer.... in a weeks time there is no way for a person to search for older posts... Unlike a well organized categorized forum like ours...

I am on it, I promise but paid work has to come first and Nick and I maintain, host and pay for the forum costs out of our own pockets.....

Offline BrenJ

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:33 AM »
 There is no way that facebook are planning to charge...these hoaxes come out every year.

Why would they need to? They get their revenue from advertising.

For me it is a great source for identifying all fauna and flora.