Author Topic: Camping Collegats - Catalan Pre-Pyrenees  (Read 23976 times)

Simon

Camping Collegats - Catalan Pre-Pyrenees
« on: November 13, 2009, 19:22 PM »
Hi,

I've been meaning to write a bit about this lovely camp site for ages, but I'm usually too busy staying there!

It is by far the nicest camp site in the region, especially as it caters for tent type campers as opposed to having cute litte parcelas that only really suit caravans*, i.e. hard gravel chips for a surface, electrcity everywhere, etc. etc. Most of the clientelle are Dutch in fact, as its reputation has spread rapidly in that country of canvas lovers! The camping is owned and run by a lovely couple, Jordi and Montse, the former speaks English as well as a host 'fit for purpose' as well as Dutch, French and German to my certain knowledge

As far as nature and wildlife is concerned its location near the southern portal of the Congost de Collegats ravine, which is a nature reserve, and in the shadow of the neighbouring Serra de Boumort, make it well suited to local trips (and the Aig├╝estortes National Park is about an hour's drive away too) but as it is sited in the watermeadows of the river Noguera Pallaresa the nature comes to your door so to speak: herons and kingfishers fly over the river while the camp site itself in a haven for smaller fowl - hoopoes wander freely among the tents seeking the odd scraps. In what seems like a labour of love Jordi maintains numerous nest boxes among the impressive array of tree species that he has raised over the past 30 years or so.

Transport is easy, and it is a two kilometre walk to the nearest twon, La Pobla de Segur, which also has rail and coach connections to Lleida, the provincial capital, as well as direct coaches to Barcelona and further up into the high Pyrenees.

Hope this is useful.

Regs

Simon

* I'm not a caravan hater as such  >:D, it's just a shame that so many campsites in Spain seem to cater exclusively for them!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 19:58 PM by Simon »

Iberianature Forum

Camping Collegats - Catalan Pre-Pyrenees
« on: November 13, 2009, 19:22 PM »