Author Topic: Travel Writing on Spain  (Read 34584 times)

Simon

Travel Writing on Spain
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Greetings all,

It’s just occurred to me while reading through the Civil War thread what a bookish lot we are!

So why not have a thread dedicated to Travel Writing in Spain, which is so prolific as to be a genre in its own right?

Just to set the ball rolling. The Civil War thread caused me to have a think about foreign travel writers’, rather than serious journalists, output during the repression years. Where were they coming from attitude-wise. An example I have is ‘Two Middle-aged Ladies in Andalucia’ by Penelope Chatwode (Mrs John Betjeman). The other middle aged lady was a pony.

Now Mrs B was a devout Catholic, so whatever Lit. Crit.. I may come up with must respect her beliefs first and foremost. But it’s a rather weird book knowing what we now know about the period as she is led across Andalucia by “intelligent” young priests and “charming” military governors.

Two other writers that I would like to read are Jan Morris and, especially, Dervla Murphy, whose autobiography ‘Wheels Within Wheels’ is an extraordinary account of an extraordinary life. Sadly, although she writes about her first experiences as a travel writer being both about and being inspired by her first trips to Spain, I’ve never come across the actual writing itself and I’m not sure if a book exists as she went on to more strenuous and perhaps glamorous destinations – Eight Feet in the Andes is a gem; the other feet being her 13 year old daughter and a mule!

On another thread; regrettably I have to spend two weeks in Gloomland next month – a horrible prospect. But as it happens I know of where I can read a copy of Richard Ford’s multi-volume Travels in Spain, which I last read about fifteen years ago and have now almost completely forgotten!

Hope this inspires a few more bookworms!

Regards

Simon

Iberianature Forum

Travel Writing on Spain
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:47 AM »

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
Re: Travel Writing on Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Dear Simon
As a social admin/ psychology person who went on to work within the field of alcohol and drug addiction and used a number of techniques over the years including cognitive behavioural ( which could be stunningly successful with certain people) I think working with one person or even two people is not exactly the same as working with the collective psyche.
The reasons some people get into serious trouble with substances are multiple not least opportunity, proximity, cost and peer pressure but is often a way of dealing with intense pain - sexual and ritual abuse victimisation being a major reason as well.  What makes these so powerful or rather these people feel so powerless is silence/aloneness through fear or shame or the perception of shame either by the individual or the society in question.

Fear and shame have kept the collective psyche of a number of societies silent and consequently from dealing with atrocities done in their name. I cite naziism, aparthied, civil war in Spain, Northern Ireland, our soliders in Iraq,  child soldiers of Africa south americamn societies -sending orphan children to Australia as slaves, paedophilia especially from high places and networks  - we can go on and on here...... It opens countries and individuals to blackmail and a failure to call a spade a spade leaves an enormous intergenerational problem which then brings its own problems.

By the way I was aware of the guardia civil as a child in the early fifties - stopped me coming to Spain until the 90s and I was still wary.
SueMac
ps
I think the Bibliography of Spain would be a great addition to the forum - including travel writing rather than excluding other genres.
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Um.. Don't know if you have noticed but this topic is posted in the board called "Books, tv, films etc"

This small neglected part of the forum has been here since the start...

I would suggest that each book has its own topic as and when you have read it or heard about it just post it here..

The key to this is the title of the post... Don't put.."Great book" as the title... Put the name of the book and its subject..
"Travel.. My travels of iberia" for example...

Please don't make a huge long topic with loads of books mentioned by different members... That will be impossible to follow and difficult for guests visiting the forum to research anything... And I'll probably just delete it

So feel free to read a book and start a topic... maybe write a mini review of it so that others get an idea about the content.. But please.. One topic one book... Everybody chant after me.. one topic one book..

Discussions can then be had about each book in its own topic...

Clive (Admin)

Of course it includes TV and films as well

Decided to Make the board for books after thinking about it further...
One reason i am not keen on making more and more boards is because of the length of the scrolling needed to get to the bottom of the forum home page.... Care needs to be taken that we don't end up with too many boards....

Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:12 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 16:17 PM »
Greetings Simon, SueMac, Clive and All,
Wholeheartedly agree with most of what has appeared on this thread so far - even if it's a characteristically iberianatureforumish hotchpotch of thoughts!
Just one doubt - re. CliveSimoniberianatureforum's taxonomy. Way back yours truly nearly came to blows with the Powers-that-B. over whether certain living creatures were better defined as creepy crawlies - although I finally bowed down to their criteria in a rare show of acquiesence :dancing:. Then there was the harder-to-swallow case of whether mushrooms were to have their own board, Fungi, :dancing: or be relegated to the Flora board. Technopat, not wishing to sow the seeds of discontent on a nascent iberianatureforum, again opted not to stir things up. But must confess that I am now truly confused re. Clive's latest:
Decided to Make the board for books after thinking about it further...

The following makes total sense:
One reason i am not keen on making more and more boards is because of the length of the scrolling needed to get to the bottom of the forum home page.... Care needs to be taken that we don't end up with too many boards....

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 20:19 PM »
Tp,

I'll make you a special shroom board when you finish naming the shrooms in the topic header :)

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey