Author Topic: Route through the Pyrenees?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
Route through the Pyrenees?
« on: February 25, 2010, 23:08 PM »
The time is approaching when we will bid a final farewell to UK and make our way by road to our home in Villamanrique, Sevilla  :dancing: :dancing: It will be a leisurely journey and we hope to stay with friends in the Toulouse area on the way. From there we would like to take a scenic route through the Pyrenees and we'd be grateful recommendations for a route through the mountains and camp-sites on the way. A day out with a bird guide along the route would be good. We'll be driving a Land Rover Defender so road conditions are not a problem.

Iberianature Forum

Route through the Pyrenees?
« on: February 25, 2010, 23:08 PM »

Simon

Re: Route through the Pyrenees?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 18:25 PM »
Hi rafiki,

Try this backwoods route (and backwards of course :angel:) - no problems with your Landy!

As for camping, here's a great place, excellent for birding as you eat your breakfast! Meanwhile, check out my, very amateur, brirding guide to the neighbourhood.

Have a good trip

Cheers

Simon

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 23:22 PM »
Thanks Simon. Much appreciated. You mention going from Esterri d’Aneau on the C-13/C-147 to Alós d’Isil and then onwards to the ski station on the Pla de Beret.  Looking at various maps I don't see that point. Did you then retrace your route to Esterri d’Aneau because I don't see another exit from the C-147 ... or perhaps I have misunderstood that bit? The route I see for us is leaving France on the N125 through Fons, joining the N-230 at the border. Taking a left onto the C-28 then the joining the C-13 at Esterri d’Aneau and rejoining the N-260 then on to La Pobla de Segur. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Simon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 17:29 PM »
Hi Brian,

Sorry to have forgotten the vital bit!

Coming from the north (from Toulouse head for St Gaudins on the Autoroute and then into the Val d'Aran) you need to take the trail in the opposite direction to me!

So, leave Vielha on the C-28 as far as Baqueria Beret, then turn off and up to the Ski resort proper - according to the Catalan Cartografic Institue it's the C142b - and follow this as it winds right up into the high pass, the 'Pla de Beret'; this is where the picture of the bike with the 'bridge' is taken!

This is the 'watershed' and where the source of the Noguera Pallaresa is located, see an earlier installment of the blog. The trail to Alos d'Isil and all the rest starts from the end of the tarmac! Look up and aim for the ruined monastery and village at Montgarri and then you have it - it may be misleading as you first head north - the valley is shaped like a question mark! 

I particularly recommend the ICC maps as they are much more detailed than anything else - try the 'imatge' version and you can make up your own hybrid of satellite and topographic - sexy!  :dancing:

Hope that's cool1

Regs

Simon

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 17:38 PM »
Thanks again Simon. I'll study that and get back to you if I need any clarification. The picture is possibly misleading but is the packhorse bridge wide enough for a car - a Defender?

What is the local feeling/regs about wild camping along that route do you know?

Simon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 17:55 PM »
Hi Brian,

We're having a 'chat' I see! (not for long, my time is nearly up here in Tremp Library!)

The packhorse bridge is indeed unsuitable, it's not actually part of the modern route - see it here: E 342797.90338223, N 4725396.4740025 (ED50 UTM 31N)
 Longitud: 01° 04' 50.4" Latitud: 42° 39' 47.3" (ETRS89 Geodèsiques)
  :dancing:

I think bivouack should be OK though - as long as it is bivouak. There's a refuge at Fornet just about where the Parc Natural starts (here:  E 345131.90338223, N 4732302.2658161 (ED50 UTM 31N)
 Longitud: 01° 06' 26.1" Latitud: 42° 43' 32.7" (ETRS89 Geodèsiques)) and I think the 'normal' rules discussed elsewhere would apply. Camping is prohiobited in the National parks - an important distinction -  - but I'll try to find out!

Cheers - over and out for now!

Simon

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 21:27 PM »
Wow Simon! Thanks for all the info, it's very much appreciated. The ICC site is an absolutely incredible resource. I can now see the route quite clearly AND it can be printed out!! I hope you will be around when we pass by. A few beers are definitely in order...

Simon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 19:33 PM »
Hi Brian,

Think nothing of it!

Glad you like the ICC - maps disclose my inner geek, and these are inded amazing, check out the cataloge for such gems as habitat, historical maps and relief maps - amazing. Star attraction at our cottage is a gelolgical map of Catalonia - it's a great work of art but all I need now is a PhD in geology to understand what it's all about!

Cheers

Simon

Simon

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Hi Brian,

Sorry to pick up a thread after such a long break - I've been meaning to get round to it, usual suspects . . .

So how did it go?

Simon

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Well, soon after our dialogue last year, I was diagnosed with a melanoma which threw all our plans into disarray :'(  Mercifully it was at a very early stage and it was removed without, they say,  any spread. So all our plans were put on ice whilst the operation healed and and final checks were made. We finally moved five months later but we needed to get here PDQ as we were expecting visitors very soon after so we came by ferry and straight down to Sevilla. The plan now is to cross the Pyrenees on our way back from a family gathering in early May. So fingers crossed!

Simon

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 16:04 PM »
Hi Brian,

Wow, you have all my sympathy - and empathy although for a slightly different diagnosis.

Give me a PM when you're ready to depart and I'll offer you some very limited hospitalty along the way  if we're around - but  I can recommend superb accommodation not mine! - and some spectacular birding!

I should also know whether the route is open, as the snow melt is a moveable feast in early May.

Regs

Simon

PS the Spanish health service is wonderful - at least up here in Catalonia

Offline rafiki

• rafikiphoto
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Thanks very much Simon. We'll be in touch.

Offline Simon_100

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 18:33 PM »
Thanks to whoever linked to our Casa Rafela website from this topic.  :)

FYO this trail is now open to motors from May 1st to October 31st - you can do it with any vehicle with reasonable ground clearance.

Back at Casa Rafela: a 10% discount to you for following the link!  :dancing: