Author Topic: Nexgard - panacea for parasites?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Simon_100

Nexgard - panacea for parasites?
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Hi,

We're recently come back into the doggy community two years after losing our beloved Lucky - at the tender age of 14 years and 8 months that was almost a record for a husky  :)

So, now we have Balto a beautiful Alaskan Malamute! he's already about 40 kgs at only 11 months he's quite a handful!

That picture was on the day we adopted him from a foster care in Ronda - way down south for us! - back in early February  and he's a lot bigger - and stronger! . now!  :) As you can see he's lovely and white - just right to show up fleas and garrapatas (ticks) now that spring is here. So we've established him on our usual regime of Advantix for the outside and Zipyran for the inside. But our vet has suggested something new, Nexgard, which works for both in one dose. The reviews I've seen look good and I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience of this.

Our vet says that the big advantage is that it kills fleas and ticks instantly on contact - so no bite injuries, skin infections, etc. it also works for the full 30 days apparently whereas Advantix is only effective against ticks for three weeks. But the big disadvantage for many of you is that unlike Advantix  - at least for two weeks - it doesn't protect against the leishmaniasis mosquito. We've always taken the view that our risk is relatively small, partly because we don't love in a high risk area and also because our dogs never sleep outside at night - they're tucked up with us! - but an alternative, albeit an expensive one, would be to apply Advantix as well as I gather there's no interaction problem.

Any views, ideas, etc.

Regs

Simon

Iberianature Forum

Nexgard - panacea for parasites?
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:58 AM »

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
Re: Nexgard - panacea for parasites?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 19:17 PM »
Hi Simon

I have not heard of Nexgard and got very interested in your post until it got to the bit about not protecting against Leish. That is such a shame. For us down here in the south, we are in a very high risk area  >:(

I also use Advantix, but I have to say it does not seem to do a great job with the ticks, I still find ticks on the dogs  :o
To help with the protection against Leish I also have our lot vaccinated with the CaniLeish which helps protect them and works in conjunction with the Advantix or a Scalibor collar. As far as the papers go they should not contact Leish with that amount of protection! I am interested to read that the Nexgard can be used along side Advantix and would also be interested to see if others use it.

Thanks for this post. Interesting stuff.
Kiersten  :)

Offline Simon_100

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 20:41 PM »
Hi there Kiersten,

Only too glad to be of help/interest. I thought of you when we looked into this as, I remember rightly, Kumbo has had a bout of Leish?

We've thought about this a lot and decide to use Advantix in the summer months, especially if we're dong anything 'high risk' like camping on the coast, etc.

Meanwhile I got exited by another product which sounded too good to be true - which if course it was! I have now forgotten the name but the idea was to strengthen the dog's antibodies to keep the illness under control. The promo stuff said two doses a year, but on further enquiry that was a daily dose for thirty days twice a year ... and then it didn't prevent, only contain -an dat a price for a 50 kgs doggo!

Meanwhile ...

I haven't seen him for three weeks  :speechless: but Poly has had to cannibalise an old harness to keep up with his ever expanding chest!

And down in Tarragona he has lots of friends to play wit, imclidimg a barking greyhound called Turbo, who's too fast to photograph* - just like Billy Whizz if you remember that far back  :) - so we had to improvise!

Regs

Simon
* actually i'm too slugabed to remember to take the camera with me for morning walkies' at 07.00!

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 21:00 PM »
Ah no it's not Khumbu, it was Bruno our big Leonberger, but bone cancer got him in the end.

It's so difficult trying to protect your dogs, we all do our best. I'm not even sure about this vaccination but have decided to give it ago, and so far so good.

I think I know the too good to be true product but I can't remember the name either haha

Balto is so handsome, I'm enjoying following his page and seeing him grow and watching his adventures. I love the the name of the greyhound it's perfect Turbo and yes I remember Billy Whizz, I often call Rita that  :P

I know a Malamute owner and he uses Ezydog harnesses for his http://www.ezydog.co.uk/chest-plate-harness/. I know you are waiting until he stops growing, but maybe worth looking at when he has stopped, if he ever does ha ha. I use one on Khumbu and it works very well.

I bet you are missing him and pleased Polly is having fun with him.
Thanks again for the info.
 sign

Offline Simon_100

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 00:10 AM »
Thanks Kierstan, I think we'll have to do a repeat of this image from late February and have a comparison:

Meanwhile I was listening to a Radio 4 show the other day called 'The Power of Cute' - Balto has it in spades so we should get an agent!

Regs

Simon

Offline Simon_100

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 00:19 AM »
PS thanks for the link to Ezydog, i'll look through it properly with Polly -and Balto! - next week. It might be an idea to buy on-line as I think we're getting a reputation locally for being into bondage ..,  :dancing:

Regs

Simoj

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 16:13 PM »
Yes that picture is an absolute must for a repeat, he will be ginormous  :o

Ha ha Balto is the cutest biggest puppy ball of fluff I agree.

I got my harness for Khumbu off the internet, no bondage problems around here, just no shops to buy them from haha

Khumbu had the indignity of a bath today. He cried and screamed his way through it.

Offline Simon_100

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 18:13 PM »
Khumbu had the indignity of a bath today. He cried and screamed his way through it.

Ha ha, there's nothing Balto likes more that to join is in the shower - just have to watch of for the pink bits!

Regs

Simon