Iberianature Forum

Wren's in Spain

• 12 Replies

Offline murciamujer

« on: December 27, 2007, 21:00 PM »
do we ever get wrens in Spain ?

(Changed topic title to reflect contents...Wildside)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 23:08 PM by Wildside »

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 21:28 PM »
Hi Murcia mujer
Yes we get up here in my garden in Torre del Bierzo, not sure about further South
Regards
Dave K
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 23:09 PM by Wildside »

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 22:56 PM »
Wrens are fairly widespread in Spain although in the south they tend to avoid the hotter plains & river valleys.  For an overall impression of their distribution see -  http://161.111.161.171/Atlas/Index.html

John
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 23:09 PM by Wildside »

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:30 AM »
We have Wrens over on the Malaga / Cadiz border in the Sierra de Grazalema, and spend time each spring removing the semi built nests from under the car. (A flapping plastic bag was incorporated in the construction!)

T-shirts on the washing line were a favourite spot last year for nest building too. In fact we donated a jumper which housed a couple of broods and may now still be in use for a night time roost.

Their song is something to listen out for, an incredibly powerful voice for one so tiny.
We are next to a river (seasonal flow nowadays) with plenty of thick shrubbery and brambles for them to feel safe.
Does anyone else see them regularly?

Regards,
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline murciamujer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 19:40 PM »
Wrens are fairly widespread in Spain although in the south they tend to avoid the hotter plains & river valleys.  For an overall impression of their distribution see -  http://161.111.161.171/Atlas/Index.html

John

:santa_embarrassed: ooo help ! I cant work that link out - just shows a huge grid over Spain, no colours or legends - when I clicked on my area - zip  :santa_cry:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 20:18 PM »
Hi,

Put a tick in the box marked "distribución de especies"

New page loads and you will see

por nombre común
por nombre científico

leave it on nombre cientifico and scroll down the list at the right untill you find Troglodytes troglodytes. This is the scientific name for the wren...

Click that name and the map will load with legend and loads of info for you to see....

You need to know at least the common name in Spanish or the scientific name...

If you don't have a bird book you can get one from our new bookshop.....
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/booksUK.htm

Click on "Birds and bird watching and the first book in that category will be just what you need.... :)

Collins Bird Guide: The Most Complete Guide...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline murciamujer

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 18:43 PM »
 :clapping: thanks Clive  :clapping:

so there are some in our area - ummm would love to see them  :)

SEO - Ronda

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 18:36 PM »

You need to know at least the common name in Spanish or the scientific name...

If you don't have a bird book you can get one from our new bookshop.....
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/booksUK.htm

Click on "Birds and bird watching and the first book in that category will be just what you need.... :)

Collins Bird Guide: The Most Complete Guide...

Clive

Shame on you using commercial muscle/sales on one so young! Ignore him murciamujer!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 18:57 PM »
What? :)

Its a good book........

:)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 19:15 PM »
Hi Clive
There you go, you do your best to help, run a tight ship, moderate moderately, administrate admirably  and what do you get criticism  >:D
Ignore them I say
Can´t wait for TP´s reaction
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 17:46 PM »
Greetings All,
Just a coupla things to add here:
Re. murciamujer's original query (do we ever get wrens in Spain?) and other iberianatureforumers' replies notwithstanding, and taking advantage of Dave's timely reference to running a tight ship, the subspecies WRNS probably have a semi-permanent population at Gibraltar and various seasonal resorts in places such as Mallorca, the Canary Islands, but have never seen one here in the centre of Madrid. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I haven't seen any.

Secondly, as some of you already know, Dave among them, Technopat - ever keeping his eagle eye on things - is usually very swift off the mark when it comes to reaction, but he does need some sort of clue as to what the issue in question is, i.e. please let me know if Clive is being criticised for a) flogging books, b) cooking books or c) recommending a book by a publisher who, if their En./Sp. dictionary is anything to go by, are likely to lead you up the garden path when you most need an authoritative reference ...

I need to know in order to adjust my reaction accordingly  :technodevil:

On-tenterhooks regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Steve West

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 21:31 PM »
As to the original question about Wrens my general advice would be to find a waterfall or a noisy river gorge with plenty of damp and lush vegetation and usually a wren is not far away. They also like gallery woodland.

Steve
http://www.birdinginspain.com
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Simon

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 21:45 PM »
In my experience just do some digging in the gardens on a frosty morning - they'll hang around looking smug just waiting for some grub(s) to turn up!

Simon