Iberianature Forum

The European Desert

• 8 Replies

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« on: January 06, 2008, 18:22 PM »
I've just come across this article. Not read it properly yet but it seems fascinating.

You need to click through loads of pages to read it all:

Until the end of the fifteenth century, Almeria was part of the Kingdom of Granada, the last Islamic state in Spain. In 1494, two years after the Castilian conquest, the traveler J. Winzer, who came from the Tyrol in the Austrian Alps, crossed the country and wrote in his diary: "There are so many bears, deer, roe deer and wild boars in the mountains that it seems incredible," and "the land is cultivated only where it is possible to irrigate."

man-made desert: Effects of economic and demographic growth on the ecosystems of arid southeastern Spain,
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3854/is_200101/ai_n8932818/pg_1
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 23:16 PM »
Thanks for highlighting this article - it made very interesting reading.  How much, I wonder, are other desert like areas in Spain due to human intervention in the relatively recent past.  In turn what might this mean regarding the historic distribution of birds like the two sandgrouse and, particularly, Dupont's Lark.  Presumably the recent colonisation of Trumpeter Finch is part of the same process - and what else might become a regular feature of the Iberian avifauna if this continues?

John

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 20:26 PM »
Thanks for the links Nick, utterly fascinating....

The first references to the landscapes of southeastern Spain were written in the Roman era. Strabo, in his Geography, described the mountains of southeastern Spain as "covered with thick woods and gigantic trees" and Avienus, in the fourth century, was the first to report the destruction of forests, specifically pinewoods, on the coast of Almeria.7 He even mentions an old Greek place-name on this desert coast: Cape Pityusas, or Pines Cape.' Pollen research carried out close to this cape has confirmed the presence of pinewoods (Pines sp.) at an early date.) These ancient observations are tantalizingly brief.

During the Roman era, the Mediterranean ecosystems suffered an unprecedented assault.'" The expansion of the cities and dry farming crops such as cereals, vines, and olive trees, together with a significant demographic upswing, were the principal causes. It is possible that some areas of the current province of Almeria then reached population densities that were again unknown until the eighteenth century." In addition, the southeast had a leading role as an exporter of minerals such as lead and silver. Between the Punic and Roman periods the first episode of economic specialization and a link with international commercial networks occurred. These episodes have been repeated in various occasions throughout history, and they have frequently led to sudden demographic "booms" and acute environmental disturbances.

I think those pinewoods must have stretched all the way to the Algarve....

I read a while ago (but can't find it now) about a huge forest fire that burned somewhere in the South of the Iberian peninsula...The writer said that the fire burned for many weeks, cutting off routes and making it impossible to even land a ship. When the fire had died down and people walked onto the still hot ground there were patches where silver had bubbled up out of the ground molten and set on the surface... This must have been pre Roman era and I guess must have been one of the reasons why Iberia was so fought over back then. Full of silver and copper......A veritable Eldorado/Eden

But imagine the size of a forest that could burn for that many weeks....
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline steveT

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 00:51 AM »
Yes....!!!!!!!!

Absolutely fascinating .......it answered questions I'd been pondering for ages ...... supported  ideas ..... got me thinking of new questions ......and loads of new information too!!!!

eg there's a Fuente del Oso ....a tiny place in the very south of Cazorla (only a few 10's of km from the areas dicussed) .....I'd been wondering as its in Castillano it must have got its name post conquest of the area ..... ie around the dates  the article mentioned( it talks of Catillian new names ).......and was this proof of bears in the area so late on and this far south ........the article clearly supports this idea.

Thanks again Nick !!!!

steveT

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 15:47 PM »
Well, we all know what bears do in woods....In the 16th century there were bears in the north of Andalucia (Sierra Morena). Have a look at this history of the bear in Spain from the MMA.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 18:14 PM »
Well, we all know what bears do in woods.

Picnic? or scats and scratch tree trunks...... ???
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 15:11 PM »
Great link, Nick! Thanx.
Very interesting.
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 19:04 PM »
Hi Lisa and Nick and everyone
 Ive just picked up on this thread - realise now the importance of the Sierra Maria statement on bears and other animals present in the XVIth century now .........My Sunday entry
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline elperronegro

• Spanish Highs Mountain Guides
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:16 AM »
Fascinating! Thanks for the link. As has been said, it does take a bit of reading, but opens ones eyes :o
Walking, trekking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, ski touring, snowshoeing in the Alpujarra and Sierra Nevada. Also weather, snow conditions, mountain info etc

Spanish Highs Mountain Guides www.spanishhighs.co.uk

Sierra Nevada Images www.sierra-nevada-images.com