id please

• 9 Replies

Offline peanut

« on: March 15, 2008, 19:32 PM »
? Otter, Mink or what?

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 19:50 PM »
In such an unhappy state it's not always easy to tell, but I think it's an Otter,

John 

Offline judith

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 20:29 PM »
I agree, not the way I would prefer to see it! But Peanut and I are having an ongoing dispute re: otters, minks and other weasely things!
Of course according to an old LOG phrase, it's dead simple: a weasel is weasily identified where as a stoat is stoatally different.
Any ideas anyone for similar on otters (otterly different?) mink or polecats?
P.S. Thanks John, that's one vote for me, I thought Otter too!

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 22:40 PM »
For what it's worth Judith, I'm with you on this too. The poor thing's bulky size, light colouring underneath, ears, limbs and strong tail all say "otter" to me. I'll have to go and have a look at your original post now to find it's story.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 23:01 PM »
Looks like an otter...

Judith, could you post here more details about where you found it and the terrain etc? How do you think it was killed?

Also, next time you take a photo for ID it would be good if there was something in the picture that would help to see the size of the creature. Like your hand or a coin...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:07 AM »
Found Judith and the Peanut's mention of this otter in otters in extremadura (not far away  ::)) So it was on a farmland track. Do you think it was hit by a vehicule?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Greetings Judith, the Peanut and All,
I'm plumping for the otter - although a sneaking doubt lingers that it might be a ferret ... :dancing: Nah, otter.

At great personal risk of being excommunicated by certain individauls belonging to the Extremadura Fraction, I can, however, categorically state that it ain't a mink (one of those stories that the Ps-that-B. won't let me post on the Animals-that-have-bitten-me thread.)

I tend to go about id-ing things (or rather, trying to) using the process-of-elimination technique rather than the positiveness with which experts approach and then add on bits of cirumstantial evidence such as, in this case, the strong, stubby tail, the barrel-like body (although that could be due to the bloating effect) etc.

By the w., I love the "weasily recognised" gag! It rings a vague bell - any idea whose it is? Sounds A. A. Milne-ish.

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 11:55 AM »
I'd plump for an otter too- light coat below, darker above. Perfect camouflage for a water animal.
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 13:34 PM »
Greetings Nick,
I used that same camouflage theory for birds of prey, but it got knocked on the 'ead by one of our resident bird experts who cited various common exceptions to it.
Spanish-sighs regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline judith

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 13:42 PM »
The poor thing was on a farmland track within spitting distance of the Tietar river. I am guessing it was hit by a vehicle, but saw no signs of injury, mind you it was fairly odourous and I didn't try turning it over1 Probably a head injury? I hope for it's sake it was an instant death. I saw quite a few badgers back in LOG suffering long lingering deaths by the roadside, I must have kept the RSPCA rescue centre down the road from us extremely busy!