Iberianature Forum

signs of spring - hoopoe migration

• 3 Replies

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Now that winter's finally arrived, I heard the first hoopoe of the year on Montjuic (Barcelona), which for me is always an early sound of spring. I'm not sure about their migrating patterns - I've always seen hoopoes there from February to July.  January seems very early to return for a migrating bird - or not?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 21:11 PM by nick »

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 17:53 PM »
hi Lucy
The normal sign of Spring here in Leon, is the arrival of the first pair of Storks, this year they were very early, arriving in the first week of January ( normally it is the end of February) I am not sure if Storks are true migrators, or weather they just move a little bit further south. I know that in Guadalajara, they are tending to hang around all winter, certainly in smaller numbers than the spring, but a significant number none the less.
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 23:33 PM »
Hola.

Interesting that the resident storks that nest in the village of El Bosque in the Sierra de Grazalema have not returned yet.

We had a flyover of Bonelli's eagles last week swooping and diving in mating flight and some of the griffon vultures at Garganta Verde are sitting eggs.

We had Hoopoe calling last week as well.

Some giant orchids are already in flower plus the paper white narcissi and the tiny quatrocassii already in bloom.

The asphodels have pushed up early but some have been hit by the cold spell of the last week.

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Storks  - another good thing about living in Leon.  I usually visit that part of Spain in late August/September and only see empty storks nests. However, 3 years ago I passed through Palencia, and was amazed to see large numbers of storks flying into the city to roost on the cathedral.  When it was full-up, late-comers perched on nearby terraces and mobile phone antenna.  Local people explained that the storks had started doing that quite recently and stayed all winter long, which the bishops weren't very happy about.  It was a great sight - all the storks facing the same way, into the wind, on top of the pinnacles.

I've also seen storks in winter near Zaragoza.  It's a great shame they don't breed in Catalunya.  I remember some years ago the Aiguamolls d'Emporda reserve were hoping to tempt their rescue storks to nest in nearby villages, but as far as I know this hasn't happened.