The Encyclopedia of life website launched

• 6 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: February 26, 2008, 13:11 PM »
Hi All. The Encyclopedia of Life website portal is now up and running. An incredible project...
Comprehensive, collaborative, ever-growing, and personalized, the Encyclopedia of Life is an ecosystem of websites that makes all key information about all life on Earth accessible to anyone, anywhere in the world

http://www.eol.org

Clive
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 19:32 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 13:23 PM »
Excellent, thanks Clive. I've registered an account but the site seems to be experiencing a few hiccups. Must be getting loads of hits already. I hope there'll be plenty of input from non-US contributors  >:D
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 14:11 PM »
Yes I noted the US influence Lisa... Will you be applying as the curator for the Cantabrian brown bear species page? That would certainly raise the profile of the species in English language.... The apply area was underneath the general membership button

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 19:06 PM »
Thanks Clive

I love the Home page photo of the Earth, it reminds me of 'An Inconvenient Truth' when Al Gore looks at a similar Photo from space and said 'isnt it beautiful'.

Looking forward to surfing the site.

alfredo
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 19:30 PM »
I tried to get on earlier today but the site was down... It is being advertised heavily on a world wide basis and I guess the servers have melted.... Once everything settles down this is going to be an incredible resource available to both interested parties for general information and also in depth detailed work for people studying specific subjects...

They will be taking submission next year for articles and images I think...

Clive

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 22:26 PM »
Yes I noted the US influence Lisa... Will you be applying as the curator for the Cantabrian brown bear species page? That would certainly raise the profile of the species in English language.... The apply area was underneath the general membership button

Clive
Where do you think was the first place I went to?  ::) Horrified to find Ursus arctos = Grizzly bear (it is, of course, Ursus arctos horribilis, hence my ref. to U.S. contributions). The page isn't fully up yet and by the time I'd created an account the site was down so couldn't get back to it. I will be hoping to contribute something BUT the Cantabrian brown bear is not a species (or even a subspecies) - it belongs to the Brown bear species.....today  :biggrin:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:39 AM »
Just a matter of time Lisa.... Just a matter of time... :) It will probably be proven in years to come that the Cantabrian brown bear is in fact a direct descendent of the endemic Andalucian elephant :)