Iberianature Forum

Rivers, lakes and reservoirs. Levels and observations

• 33 Replies

Simon

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 21:42 PM »
Hi,

I've just bee watching the news about Miravet. Not too surprising that the water level has risen there as it is the 'last stop' before the huge ravine through the littoral mountain range - but none the less dramatic for all that!

The comment that stuck out amongst the 'vecinos' was the lack of information - there's more to be said on this issue!  >:D

Simon

Simon

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Hi Dena, et al,

I shouldn't worry too much about the flooding o the headwater of the Segre affecting your situation - the Rialb reservoir still has some 200 odd cubic hectare of capacity to fill up before it has to let it all through into the Ebro!

My earlier comment brings to mind the notorious incident at Balaguer in about 1998, when the engineer in charge of Camarasa reservoir (capacity 113 Hm3) let about 2 Hm3 go and, according to procedure, sent a fax to Balaguer town hall to war them; trouble is, this happened at five past three in the afternoon - and we all know what's going on at the local Ajuntament at tat time don't we  >:D The following Monday, after the bridge had been all but swept away, with half the fire department on it in the act of removing the railings, lampposts, etc, (to reduce the drag effect as the water rose above the bridge's surface!), the disappearance of a whole load of expensive public 'art' that had been tastefully installed on the newly planted riverside park, etc. etc, etc, the offending fax was found nicely curling up its edges on the tray of the fax machine, complete with the incriminating time notice!  :clapping:

Regs.

Simon

PS The Camarasa details are even more alarming right now, as in its 'Tiempo Real' it appears to be holding 144.64 Hm3 wheas its capacity is listed at 113!  :technodevil:

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Brill story Simon! Don't we just love to see bureaucrats with red faces!  Sure it wasn't fun for the people at the time though!

.... just popping out to check Mora Bridge!  :biggrin:

Dena

www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57 AM »
Hi all,

PS The Camarasa details are even more alarming right now, as in its 'Tiempo Real' it appears to be holding 144.64 Hm3 wheas its capacity is listed at 113!

The embalse web site shows the capacity to be 163 hm3

http://www.embalses.net/pantano-195-camarasa.html

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Thanks Clive, so it does! Maybe I need new a new pair of glasses, or perhaps a new pair of eyes, or even a new head to put them in, or even a new body to put the head on, or maybe a completely new Simon!  :biggrin:

Cheers

Simon

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 23:41 PM »
Greetings all

Thought I'd let you know that we are all still alive and kicking up here by the Ebro! The river has dropped by about 3 feet and our street is no longer flooded. It is still much higher than normal though and the access to the embarcador is still underwater with the ramp to the jetty still at an incline rather than a decline. ( not that this deters our intrepid anglers who row themselves across to the jetty in our inflatable dinghy so they can sit there and fish - much shaking of heads and photo-taking by the locals!)

I was talking to a guide who works at the Sebes Nature Reserve (Flix) yesterday and he said that when the river was at its highest last week it was flowing at 2000 cubic meters per second. It is now down to around 1500. Up to date info about the Ebro can be found here:
http://195.55.247.238/saihebro/index.php?url=/datos/graficas/tag:A027C65QRIO1
He also told me that before the dams were built (1950- something I think) the river could flow at 20,000 cubic meters per second during flood periods!  Mind boggling!!  :speechless: Mind you there are plenty of plaques on display around Mora and other riverside villages indicating the levels the water used to attain. Even in our own garage we have a mark scatched into the wall at a height of about 8 feet showing the water level in 1907. Must have been pretty scary!

I took a walk down the lane a few days ago to see what damage had been inflicted on the orchards and to take some pics.  Came across the curious sight of several large carp swimming around between the grapevines!  In the photo of the flooded saplings the river is usually behind (and several feet below) the dark stand of trees in the centre of the piccy.

Dena

www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 00:00 AM »
Greetings Dena,
Glad to see that everything's OK.
The 8ft highwater mark from 1907 on your garage wall explains why you've been so calm about this slight rise in the floodwaters.
Wonderful pic of the carp among the vines! Looking forward to seeing iberianatureforumers' witty photo captions.
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00 AM »
Hi Dena,

Fabulous photos! It's good to know you're still around and kicking - or should that be splashing!

20,000 m3/s sounds horrific! Did you know that Franco had the river flooded at the beginning of the Battle of the Ebro in 1938, stranding most of the Republican army on the wrong (west) bank with most of their kit, i.e. what few tanks they had, but little of their ammo? He did this by letting lose the waters in the dams upstream, most notably San Antoni up here in the Noguera Pallaresa. Do you know, or cod you find out, how much water was flowing then? It wouldn't have to be so very high, rather it had to flow very fast, as the idea was to wash away the pontoon bridges (for the rest of the battle the bridges were bombed by day and rebuilt by night, but the first flooding tactic took the momentum out of the Republican offensive.

Sorry to be so bellicose sounding - but I know eye witnesses up here as our village was on the route to the capture of the dams - the C1311 road, which passes nearby, was built specifically for the purpose; 26 kms in 28 days, so they say!

Regs

Simon

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Do you know, or cod you find out,
Freudian slip Simon?  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 07:56 AM »
At least I'm not a cad, even if I am a bit of a flounder! But maybe there's a plaice for us? It'd be better to be locked up in a dudgeon that stuck in a tench trouting for business on the (turn)pike. Oh happy dace, w'eel . . .

Is there any more of this? You betcher!

Simon X

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 14:13 PM »
Krilliant*, Simon! :clapping:
Future Denominaci├│n de origen Ebro wines will doubtlessly be accompanied by rave reviews along the lines of "Unpretentious little wine, fruity yet with a subtle bouquet reminescent of seafood"
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krill
Silly-bunt regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 16:10 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 14:28 PM »
Have you ben at the Spam again Teeps - evein if it is done in the Proven├žal matter in a mornay sauce with a fried egg on toma and . . .

ha ha

Si X

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 21:14 PM »
Ahem! :( Stay on topic!
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 05:43 AM »
OK Clive, keep yer 'air on (Sp. ?)

Right on topic - seen the news about the Zaragoza Expo having to change its Grand Opening Ceremony die to the Ebro bursting its baks there? Ironic really! :technodevil:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espana/Expo/Zaragoza/parapeta/afrontar/crecida/Ebro/elpepiesp/20080603elpepinac_17/Tes

Cheers (and writing long before today's edition comes out!)

Simon