Iberianature Forum

Golden Eagle

• 5 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: March 06, 2008, 13:42 PM »
Hi Everybody
A very exciting view yesterday of a Golden Eagle. Traveling to our house, in Torre del Bierzo, i saw a large dark bird, obviously a raptor, circling over the A 66 motorway, the giveaway was the white markings below, it was a juvenile, i will be keeping an eye out for it on future journeys.
regards
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 22:26 PM »
Would it be in dispersion then Dave? Looking for a terrotory/mate? There's some confusion here in the Picos as a pair that have known to be nesting in a particular spot have moved and no-one knows where they are.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline potes

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Hello Lisa

Has one of the missing eagles got a noticeable V shaped gap on its left wing ?

regards

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 14:01 PM »
I don't know but they were nesting above Brez/Lon. Out with an expert last month, we watched a female perched on a rock while the male circled around (above Argüebanes) - probably the same pair that perhaps were frightened away from their original nest, I reckon. Any news?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 17:44 PM »
Hi Lisa
That point about dispersion is probably correct, as the area in which we saw the Eagle, was not , in my opinion, Eagle country, it was close to the town of Astorga, the land is arid but with a few hills rather than mountains, mind you it was heading towards monte Teleno, which is part of a fairly rugged but small chain of mountains, it will be interesting if I see it again, although if it is passing through that is unlikely. Still it was a good sighting on a drive that usually only yields a few hundred rooks ,the occasional buzzard, and a few Storks
regards
Dave

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28 AM »
 :sign: We had a fantastic sighting of a Golden Eagle yesterday [aguila real], again in this case it was the very distinctive white markings under the wings that was the clincher in identifying it. I now know what I have been trying to photograph for over a year are aguila reals! The one we were watching over the house yesterday was obviously a juvenile, and now I am sure I saw fledglings last year too. We are surrounded by mountains here and there is a profusion of rabbits and hares, so plenty of game for them to live off and rear their young. If I manage to get a decent picture I'll post it, so wish me luck! I can't believe just what a kick this sighting has given me!
  :dancing: