Iberianature Forum

urban yellow legs

• 3 Replies

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« on: March 11, 2008, 21:16 PM »
I took a photo of a yellow-legs today plundering a rubbish bag.  It was removing the contents one by one – it gave up on the old sock, but the rock hard bits of bread were acceptable after being dunked in a nearby fountain. 

Aerial pursuits of pigeons are a frequent sight in the city, and this one was dispatched on the roof of a nearby library.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 21:25 PM »
Hi Lucy,

The sock is great... maybe he thought it was a dead pigeon, it's the right colour almost...

So are you saying that "patatas amarillas" are hunting feral pigeons on the wing?
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,679.msg5265.html#msg5265
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 22:32 PM »
Hi Clive,

There are some heart-stopping chases  and although there are far too many pigeons, it's difficult not to root for them.  As pigeons are pretty strong fliers too,  they often hold their own.  Once a pigeon took shelter in a top-floor flat I used to live in.  It flew in onto the table - while the gull cruised outside, staring in. Pigeon escaped when the coast was clear.

(ps. your link is to the golf course thread - is there a connection I'm missing?!)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Sounds like someone needs to get a video of one of the chases and post it up to you tube. I wonder if this is documented at all and estimates of how many pigeons get taken each year have been done.

It was Jills comment below about the yellow footed gull that had me chuckling about your yellow legs... (not your yellow legs). The thought of two yellow potatoes chasing the pigeons around.... :)

Juan doesn't mind foreigners per se; indeed, he deliberately befriended us. What he hates (in such a mild mannered sort of a way that a thick-skinned neighbour could easily over-look it) is English people who've been living here for years but who don't even try to learn the lingo. He's aware that it isn't easy and he's very tolerant of my own pathetic efforts. As my kids will tell you, I'm frequently completely incoherent in English, muddling words all the time as I speak, so it's no surprise that I'm even worse in Spanish. My classic goof was to say, "Mira las gaviotas zapatas amarillas - I mean, patatas amarillas." The kids almost fell over, they were laughing so hard, but Juan didn't bat an eyelid.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:16 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey