Author Topic: Black vultures in the north  (Read 7045 times)

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
Black vultures in the north
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:45 AM »
I think I saw a Black vulture glide over our house the other day. There were Griffons around at the time too but this one was big with very squared-off wings. I had a bit of time to look through the bins but couldn't see any paleness head-wise. It was flying very high so I can't be certain and I wonder if anyone knows of any sightings Cantabria/Asturias/León way?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Iberianature Forum

Black vultures in the north
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:45 AM »

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
Re: Black vultures in the north
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 18:35 PM »
Hi lisa
Came across this web page with rare sightings of Black vultures mentioned

Lammergeiers are being encouraged to return from the Pyrenees and occasional, rare sightings of Black vulture are a possibility. Egyptian vultures arrive to breed in the mountains in spring. There are a few breeding pairs of Golden eagle, while Booted and Short-toed are fairly common in summer, Bonelli's being rather more rare. Thanks to a reintroduction initiative, the estuaries of the Costa Cantábrica are witnessing the return of Osprey.
http://www.picos-accommodation.co.uk/BirdsinthePicosdeEuropa.htm::)
regards
Dave
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 19:43 PM by Dave »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 18:45 PM »
Hi Lisa, Dave and all.

that web link of your looks familiar Dave..... ;)

I read recently that some black vultures were on the move from Extremadura due to food shortages so maybe you saw one of those.

I can't find anything on the web about it but from a local newspaper I quote.

"Wildlife experts explained that dazed and disorientated black vultures spotted recently in the streets of Caceres city were seeking food after regulations introduced during the late nineties to combat BSE had drastically reduced the carrion they normally fed on. Extremaduras environment department head, Guillermo Crespo announced that 11 official refuse heaps containing animal remains would be installed in open countryside close to the vultures natural habitat. Not only Extremaduras 850 pairs of black vultures would benefit from the new source of food, he said but also the areas eagles and crows"

Source The Euro Weekly News"

Quite frankly the more I read the article the more confused I become. Why are the black vultures in Extremadura starving whilst at the same time Monfrague has had its status raised to national park level.

850 pairs of black vulture?

Any one got any more details?

Clive
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 18:49 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 00:28 AM »
Hola all

Louise was excited this morning as there was around 40 Griffons above our house.  She took some photos for a while and then when I looked up I could see that many of them were actually a different colour underneath, Black, completely black.  I took a few photos.

Do you think these were the Black Vultures?  It sure looks like it to me.  Its been a 'Wild' week for birds in Soria.
alfredo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 00:29 AM by Spanish Footsteps »
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Thanks Dave, I'd not thought to check that one out  :biggrin: (Not much help though.)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Hi Alfredo and all

I think your picture is of a griffon... Have you got any shots to look at that show a few at the same time? It helps if you have some to compare with each other... If there is a black amongst them then it will stand out from the flock...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Hi All,

i took a snap of vultures in the sky last April here in the south (bear in mind it is with an excellent macro camera and i was just playing). When i saw it on screen i noticed that one was a black vulture.
It is very much cropped and blown up but may help show the silhouette form of the Griffon and Black vultures flying together
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 20:20 PM »
Hola Clive Sue n all

Here is a photo taken at the same time.  Ive seen many Griffons fly at this height and ive been able to see the markings.

The wings are more square shaped long and broader than a Griffon, the head is noticably paler, which is more like a Black Vulture

I will put my money on a Black Vulture, not 100% though, anyone else have an idea?

alfredo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 20:38 PM by Spanish Footsteps »
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 21:19 PM »
Greetings All,
The fact that all you bird experts, jizzers, twitchers an' what-have-you manifest doubts as to what whether it's a bird, a plane or Superman, etc., makes me glad I stick to 'shrooms - they might be lethal, but at least they don't move.

B. that as it m., short article in yesterday's 20 Segundos mentions that 7 buitres negros have just been sent off to be released in the Boumort and Alinyá nature reserves in the Catalán Pyrenees.

They had been treated by the Grupo de Recuperación de Fauna Autóctona (Grefa) de Majadahonda, Madrid, but no mention is made of where they are from originally.*

*Right, if I'd done a bit of homework first to get background info, i.e. visiting the Grefa website :dancing: , I'd have been able to tell y'all that the birds have been donated by the Junta de Extemadura and that they'll spend the next 14 months in cages to get 'em acclimatised before being released. Read more here:
http://www.grefa.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=269&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Steve West

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 20:21 PM »
They're already on the loose! I saw 3 different (wing-marked and 2 with satelitte transmitters) Black Vultures this week near Boumort. I was soon joined by the team of reserve guards who are monitoring their movements. Apparently one of the 14 or so released has wandered off to Zaragoza, but it seems that a good enough number have stayed around.
There is also a Black Vulture from France that seems to have spent recent winters near els Ports in the province of Tarragona, visiting a feeding station frequented by more than a 100 Griffon Vultures.
When identifying a Black Vulture there is more than just colour. As in virtually all birds of prey the flight silhouette is probably the single most useful feature. Then look at colour compared to Griffon Vultures under the same conditions. Another feature I find useful is the leg colour, which stands out, as it contrasts more strongly with the dark plumage of the Black Vulture.

Regards
Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Simon

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 04:35 AM »
Hello you birders,

I'm off my patch again here  :dancing: but I'm trawling through matters vulturine following up an idea I've had about the diclofenac scandal.

Re, releases Black Vultures in Boumort (Aninya actually). Here's the 'official' press release from the Caixa de Catalunya, whch operates the whole Alinya valley as a sort of living socio-cultural archive - including the populaton of that strange critter - homo sapiens!

http://74.125.39.104/search?q=cache:wSB6Y2AnN5YJ:www.unsolmon.es/osocial/idiomes/2/fitxers/mediambient/voltor_cas.pdf+generalitat+buitres&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=es&client=firefox-a

On a more serious note; Steve (West) was I getting confused about this re-intoduction when I described a similar project in La Terreta a few months ago? I've definitely seen Black V's there - on the TV monitor of La Terreta in Tremp Ajuntament's Mediambient office (some people get all the good jobs!)
Cheers

Simon

Offline Steve West

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 22:07 PM »
The Black Vultures reintroduced at Alinyà have certainly been recorded moving around the area. There is nore-introduction scheme at la Terreta so in all likelihood Simon what you saw were birds from just over the mountain.

Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Simon

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 00:36 AM »
Thanks Steve!

Simon