Iberianature Forum

Egyptian Vultures in Soria

• 4 Replies

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« on: April 19, 2008, 20:49 PM »
Hola

A great week for bird spotting, after a walk in the Canyon del Rio Lobos, we were about to head home and saw 4 raptors in the sky above us.  A pair of Egyptian Vultures (im sure of) and the other 2 birds looked like booted eagles?? (not sure of).  I took some pics, but as usual they are a little blurry, due to excited hand and a 300mm lens.

any confirmations on the eagle?

We also saw some Azure Winged magpies, a honey buzzard and 2 large owls that were too quick to be identified.

regards
alfredo
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 21:33 PM »
Hi Alfredo,

Yep, a booted eagle and an Egyptian vulture. Beautiful birds and exciting when you see them together like that....

Do you get the blue magpies a lot up your way? They are spreading a long way north now I guess....

Hand held zoom photography is fun!

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 13:28 PM »
Hola Clive

We do get the Azure Winged magpies here.  In the Canyon Rio Lobos there are many, infact the day i saw them it was a flock of about 20.  As I walked down the track they kept moving to the next group of trees in front of me.  They didn't seem too bothered enough to fly away, just to the next tree.  We have had a lot of rain over the last 2 weeks, so the birds are very active (particularly in the garden).

The plantlife is springing up again, we picked some nettles and dandelion leaves and Louise knocked up a few delicacies.  We try to pick as much from the land as possible and we are certainly not short of it here.  Wont be long before the Chamomile will be blooming.

alfredo

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 15:45 PM »
Hi Alfredo,
Several years ago I visited the Canyon Rio Lobos and also saw a sizable flock of Azure Winged Magpies there, mobbing the Griffon vultures.  In fact, it's the only time I've ever seen them.  I remember the walls of the canyon not being particularly high and there were good opportunities to see the vultures quite close.

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 21:01 PM »
Hola Lucy

Yes it was the only time i have seen them too.  They are pretty cheeky, although not playing up on that day.

www.spanishfootsteps.com