Iberianature Forum

Black-eared wheatear

• 4 Replies

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Montjuic sometimes offers surprises, especially in spring, and this morning I saw a Black-eared wheatear by the castle walls.  It immediately reminded me of walking in the sierra de LĂ­bar, but with its white throat it's slightly different from the one John C. has posted in the gallery:

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=384 

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 20:35 PM »
Just as I think I have learned a bird, up pops something else to confuse me!

So is the pale throated bit a "morph" or a normal part of changing plumage? It says in my Collins that the male has a pale throat in the summer but its only April so what's going on?

Here's a photo of the bird in the libar for us all to compare... (Sorry JohnC I saw you creeping up on this one but I had already got it :) )

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 19:04 PM »
The Black-eared Wheatear has two morphs - white and black throated.  The Collins Bird Guide illustrates both and mentions them in the text.  It says that the white-throated morph is commonest in the west (it's found throughout the Mediterranean basin), but this is confusing as Spain is an exception to this rule of thumb since the black-throated form is c67% of the population,

John

Offline Algarvebirdman

• Algarve Birdwatching
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 00:42 AM »
I know of no data to substantiate but 67% black-throated form fits in with southern Portugal pretty well, although if anything I'd guess it was a little closer to 50/50.

PeterJ

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 19:48 PM »
Like Algarvebirdman I know of no published data/evidence to support 67% dominance of the black-throated form, but I suspect John will give us a pointer. At least locally around the Serrania de Ronda and Sierra de Grazalema the black-throated form is certainly dominant perhaps to a higher degree than 67%. During the course of my Oenanthe sp. research then both trapped and observed territorial birds show to a much higher degree as being of the form dark-throated 'morph'. The prime target species of the research is for Black Wheatear Oenanthe leucura, but because these crafty little blighters avoid capture on most field outings I end-up catching good numbers of Oenanthe hispanica and O.oenanthe (who both show less selective behaviour when trying to take my mealworms)!!

:dancing:

Peter
www.spanishbirds.com