Catalonia water usage and politics

• 22 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 13:03 PM »
How much has the puente maritimo cost? If its paid for, who paid the bill and when?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 18:14 PM »
Alas I'm so cynical in my old age about human nature (and politics!), that I suspect that the water consumption in Barcelona will go right back to where it was now that the restrictions have been lifted and everyone sees pictures  of 'full' (sic) reservoirs on the telly.

I've no doubt whatsoever that the the shipping companies who are suppling water to BCN would charge more for cancelling their contracts before August than for fulfilling them (they have a point, actually, no matter how ecologically bankrupt that may seem).

I also think the real tragedy about the new rainfall is that the whole debate, which might have led to serous policy review - and I'm talking about the travesament, which ultimately simply has to happen - will just be shelved until the next 'crisis'.

One doesn't have to be a statistician to note that all of the figures are in no way new, drought happens in Catalonia every seven years or so, in my time here I've now seen the complete cycle three times, but human, or rather political, memory is short.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but I just know that even as I write this a couple of dozen people who I know and like personally, will be flooding tier lawns/orchards with water over the next weekend, simply because they can!

Depressed

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 20:37 PM »
Greetings Simon and All,
Te acompaƱo en tus sentimientos   :'(

Nick's
Water consumption in private homes in Barcelona has fallen between 5% and 10%
made me really angry at the time and I decided not to answer it then so as not to have a major online freak out, better to chill out and respond at a later date. Does that mean no-one - private homes - was actually doing anything to save water with a major water shortage looming? Or is the leakage sucha serious problem that all the saving folks were doing in their homes was to little avail?

Verle las orejas al lobo springs readily to mind here (En. anyone?) - No, Clive, this is NOT off-topic - it's very much on-topic :dancing:

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266