Iberianature Forum

More on the Southern Midwife Toad (iberianatureforum's hero of the month)

• 4 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: May 15, 2008, 19:52 PM »
Greetings All,
Given the circumstances (the urgent need for some background info. + the fact that some iberianatureforumers and visitors may still be getting to grips with their Spanish) I hope the authors on the website Lisa found, http://www.sierradebaza.org/Fichas_fauna/00_Anfibios/05-01_sapo_partero/sapo_partero.htm, won't object to my doing a rough translation of some of the characteristics of the toad in question.

En alguno de nuestros paseos por las sierras granadinas en posible que nos encontremos con una auténtica joya de la rica biodiversidad que atesora la Península ibérica, el Sapo partero bético.

On some of our strolls through the mountains of Granada we might come across a real jewel of the Iberian Peninsula’s biodiversity: the Midwife toad.

Se trata de un pequeño anfibio (de entre 4 y 6cm de longitud), de aspecto rechoncho, cabeza grande y hocico corto y puntiagudo. Los ojos son grandes con pupilas verticales oscuras, sobre un fondo de iris de color cobrizo. El tímpano, redondeado, es claramente visible, situado detrás de los ojos. La coloración de la piel es variable, aunque es frecuente que el color de fondo sea grisáceo e incluso blanco sucio, sobre el que aparecen una serie de manchas irregulares de color verdoso. La zona del vientre suele ser blanca. Sobre el cuerpo aparecen unas granulaciones no muy grandes y no tiene verrugas como otros sapos. Una característica que lo diferencia de las otras 2 especies de sapos parteros presentes en la península, (Sapo partero común y Sapo partero ibérico), es que nunca tiene tubérculos dorsales de color rojo o anaranjado.

This small amphibian (from 4 to 6 cm in length) is chubby, and has a large head with a short, pointed snout. Its eyes are big, with dark, vertical pupils over a copper-coloured iris. The tympany (?), rounded, is clearly visible behind the eyes. The colour of the skin varies, although often greyish and even off-white, covered with irregular greenish spots. The belly is usually white. The back has smallish bumps and it doesn’t have warts like other toads. One feature that distinguishes it from the other 2 midwife toads present on the peninsula, Sapo partero común and Sapo partero ibérico, is that it never has red or orangey dorsal tubers (?).

Las diferencias físicas entre machos y hembras son poco apreciables a simple vista. Generalmente las hembras son más rechonchas y tienen la cabeza y patas posteriores proporcionalmente más pequeñas que los machos. Lo que sí tendremos claro es que todos aquellos ejemplares que encontremos con carga de huevos serán machos.

The physical differences ‘tween males and females are not easily visible. Females are generally chubbier and their heads and hindlegs are proportionately smaller than those of the male. One thing that is clear, however, is that all those we find loaded with eggs will be males.

© Por Eduardo Escoriza Abril, con la colaboración de Luis García Cardenete y de Javier Fuentes (A.H.G.)

Regs.,
Technopat

PS.
The second photo, in which the puir wee mite isn’t so egg-laden, shows our hero in a slightly more photogenic light ...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 19:55 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:08 AM »
If you can need in a future any contact with the SIERRA DE BAZA PROJECT, please tell me because they are good friends of mine.

Cheers

Jesús
OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Greetings Jesús,
Thanx for that - and thank them (
© Por Eduardo Escoriza Abril, con la colaboración de Luis García Cardenete y de Javier Fuentes (A.H.G.)
) for letting me (?) translate some of their text without permission :angel: "...I'm just a soul whose intentions are good - Oh Lord! Please don't let me be misunderstood ..." :dancing:

Cheers,
Technopat

PS.
At the risk of setting off more "What were you doing in '64?"-related stuff, read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Let_Me_Be_Misunderstood
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21 AM »
People there (Sierra de Baza project) will be very pleased to know that english people is happy with the nature info created by them. Be very sure.

All the best

Jesús

OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature