Iberianature Forum

Please untangle these lizards

• 4 Replies

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Hi everyone

Came across this lovely scene last week. What type of lizards are they? And is one really eating the other or is this some kind of "loving embrace"? Unfortunately I turned my back for a moment and when I looked back they had gone so I didn't see the outcome.

thanks a bunch, look forward to your answers.

Dena
www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Hi Dena,

It's a loving embrace although the way the male goes at it sometimes it's not very romantic..

I would say that they are Iberian wall lizards Podarcis hispanica The colour range is very varied but I think I can see the two white stripes running down the back of the female in the second picture... This species is present all over Iberia....

I don't think it is the common wall lizard Podarcis muralis the female of this species doesn't have the white stripes and the male has white spots running down his back in two lines. The distribution of this species is also restricted to the north of Spain with a couple of isolated pockets a little further South.

Clive

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline ladena

• River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 14:31 PM »
Thanks Clive, nice to know what I'm looking at.

....I have a photo of a caterpillar that I took last September - going to post that now!

Good this forum!
Dena
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 14:41 PM »
Dena, I think you can go to 600 pix. width max. for the not-so-expert among us  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline ladena

• River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 22:35 PM »
thx lisa- thought I'd cut the photos down to be within the 150kb limit . but it seems they are much less. hope you could see them ok. better next time!