Frog ID please

• 6 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: June 02, 2008, 20:35 PM »
Hello  :sign:

Ok so I see this little fella and his mates most days whilst out walking the dogs, can anyone identify him please, my skills suggest a Spanish Green Frog  :biggrin:

I hope you can see him ok as he sits in an awkward place to get a head on shot.

Cheers  :booklook:

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 22:08 PM »
Yes , it is a Spanish green frog (Pelophylax perezi), ready to jump if any danger detected around. Possibly there ara more individuals in the pool or sorrounding it.

Regards

Jesús
OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 22:29 PM »
Hi Jesus

Is it really a Spanish Green Frog? That was just what I was calling it because I had no idea  :noidea: what it was.

There are at least 3 in that pool, usually 2 sat where he is and 1 on the otherside of the pool. They seem quite happy for humans and dogs to be around them which is great.

Maria

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:00 AM »
http://www.club100.net/species/P_perezi/P_perezi.html

You can watch its big and strong legs; other frogs in Iberia are very located for some strict points or areas. It can be confused with  the SAPILLO PINTOJO, but habitats are normally different for both species, and if you watch them closer, the frog has tympanums on both sides of the head, while the other has no visible ones.

These frogs shows different colours and sizes, but genetically they are the same species. Males have "callus" on its legs, so they can seize the female during copulation.

Nice to listen them in the hot summer nights.

A pleasure

Jesus

OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Hi both, the common English name of this species is the Iberian water frog which myself and
Lucy have previously had help with identifying on the forum. But yes, it's Spanish and green  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Thanks very much Jesus, they seem to be very vocal during the day at the moment as well as at night!!

Thanks Lisa too, I was going to use the search but had no idea where to start with it other than the green Spanish frog bit  :biggrin: and didnt think anything would come back so thought it would be better just to post.

Why are the names changing?

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Hi Maria, if you mean scientific names then it's down to advances in genetics. Biologists can now study the genecular make-up of a life-form in such depth that something that was once thought to be a subspecies can now be seen as a species in its own right and something once thought to belong to one genus can now be put in a different family all together. In the case of the Iberian water frog I think the name changed just because Pelophylax (mud guardian?) is more descriptive than plain old Rana (frog). The perezi bit is after a Spanish scientist, Perez.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.