Iberianature Forum

golden eagles

• 5 Replies

Offline shiner

« on: March 20, 2007, 17:58 PM »
1545hrs just come home from walking my dogs,we live in Gatova my house backs on to the foot of a steep cliff known as Tejeria and as we came out there was an EAGLE gliding above us about 100 mtres. my wife and I exclaimed how fortunate we were and as we watched three more were gliding along just inside the rim of the cliff.Blimey! what joy, we have seen plenty of  eagles when we lived in Scotland but never four flying together. We could make out one larger bird an adult female, adult male slightly smaller and two juveniles, as they soared very steadily in the wind, and trimmed their position we had sight of their colouring in the sunlight golden brown on the breast and underside similar clours on the upper wing side, the joungsters not displaying any brown colouring. The wind is very strong today with some snow flurries, we imagine the birds were seeking shelter in the very craggie cliff face, safety for them and a sighting of a life time  for us

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 22:01 PM »
Hi Shiner,

They are just such a pleasure to watch, and a group is pretty special. Lucky you!

We have more short-toed eagles in our neck of the woods, I love to hear them whistle to each other. I tend to check over the groups of flying griffon vultures carefully as sometimes there are eagles in amongst them too.

The closest sighting I had of a golden eagle was of its feet and tail. There was a whooshing sound and huge shadow just above my head and I looked up into its belly, don’t know who was more shocked!

Watch out for rubber-neck syndrome, it tends to set in after such an experience and you can’t help but scan the skies for a few days in case it happens again. Temporarily painful, but if you can study your feet for a few hours it does subside!!

Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 23:44 PM »
Greetings All,
Chap on Radio 5, Juan Ignacio Pardo de Santillana, mentioned today that a friend of his, Suso (I forget his surname, but famous Sp. naturalist/birder) has just told him he's come across an águila real (Aquila chrysaetos) that he ringed 32 years ago in Doñana. The bird now inhabits the Madrid-Toledo region*. No more info. Anyone heard anything?

*Any reason for a golden eagle to migrate north? Or is the distance within its normal territory?

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 00:37 AM »
And the ring was still there and readable after 32 years?

The bird was ringed as a chick I guess... Goldens are long lived and I believe in captivity the record is around forty years..But in the wild at 32 This bird would be a record breaker. I would be very surprised if one passed the 15 year mark and if it did was still around at 20

Sorry but I am a little suspicious of this news...

Territory could be as much as 200 square miles which is around 500 square kilometres I think
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 00:51 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:37 AM »
Greetings All,
Chap on Radio 5, Juan Ignacio Pardo de Santillana, mentioned today that a friend of his, Suso (I forget his surname, but famous Sp. naturalist/birder) has just told him he's come across an águila real (Aquila chrysaetos) that he ringed 32 years ago in Doñana. The bird now inhabits the Madrid-Toledo region*. No more info. Anyone heard anything?

*Any reason for a golden eagle to migrate north? Or is the distance within its normal territory?

Regs.,
Technopat

Suso Garzón. Should be fairly reliable if you heard it right  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Yes, Suso Garzón is the guy.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266