Iberianature Forum

Tapirs in Girona

• 2 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: May 30, 2008, 17:41 PM »
Greetings All,
No, Dave, I'm not on the wrong board - it's not a typo for tapas. :dancing:
Some time ago, steveT started one of iberianatureforum's most interesting threads - on this board - when he brought up the subject of Iberian elephants.

Today's El País gives the following:
Hallado en Girona el esqueleto de un tapir de 4 millones de años
NATALIA IGLESIAS - Girona - 30/05/2008
El Camp dels Ninots de Caldes de Malavella (Selva) sigue dando sorpresas. La última, la aparición de un esqueleto completo de tapir de entre 3,5 y 4 millones de años, un mamífero antepasado del oso hormiguero, de dimensiones y aspecto similar a un jabalí y dotado de una pequeña trompa para alimentarse, básicamente, de hierba y frutas. Los restos se encuentran en muy buen estado y es la pieza de esta especie mejor conservada de Europa, según el Instituto de Paleoecología Humana de la Universidad Rovira i Virgili, que ha dirigido la excavación.

(A 3.5-4 million-year-old whole skeleton of a tapir, ancestor of the anteater, of a size and aspect similar to the wild boar, but with a short trunk/snout used for eating mainly grass and fruit has been found at El Camp dels Ninots de Caldes de Malavella (Selva). According to the Instituto de Paleoecología Humana at the Universidad Rovira i Virgili, which is in charge of the excavations, it's the best-preserved specimen found in Europe.)

After years of suffering the consequences of lack of funding, Spain's excellent scientists are increasingly able to put to good use the technology made available to them in recent years, and I look forward to many more amazing discoveries of this nature being made on this amazing Ib. Pen. :dancing:

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 19:44 PM »
That is fascinating.
Tapirs have always been one of my favourite animals, particularly since living at Hythe, in Kent, LOG, which was close to John Aspinal's Port Lympne Wildlife Park which had some excellent specimens.

Offline steveT

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 23:05 PM »
Tp,

You can really see in what a good state and how complete the skeleton is!

steveT