« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 17:04 PM »
Well done Dave, where would we be without you!  :sign:

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 18:36 PM »
Greetings Dave and welcome back!
Looking forward to trip/food report  :dancing:
Even without Dave mentioning tapas, León certainly deserves being called a city and just for those of you out there who have problems placing it on the map, it does need that tilde over that o - Dave's finding that the habit of a lifetime of not using tildes is hard to break :technodevil: ...

Regs.-from-the-capital-of-the-Kingdom-of-Spain,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 19:04 PM »
Hi TP
Tilde now in place ::)
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 23:04 PM »
Greetings All,
With all this talk of small towns forgetting their place and gettin' above themselves, some mention must be made of the great pedanía , which the DRAE, in its usual clear and helpful way, gives as follows:
REAL  ACADEMIA  ESPAÑOLA
DICCIONARIO DE LA LENGUA ESPAÑOLA - Vigésima segunda edición
pedanía.
1. f. Lugar anejo a un municipio y regido por un alcalde pedáneo.
2. f. Territorio bajo la jurisdicción de un juez pedáneo.
Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

For the first time, my well-thumbed bilingual has let me down, as it gives the following pathetic translation: district. That's it, nothing else. No example. No synonym. Not a sausage! (Sp. anyone?)

All of which means yours truly has to eat humble pie again (those were the days, eh, Dave?) and ask if anyone gets a better translation of pedanía from any other dictionary.

Simon, is Tremp a pedanía, or the Catalán equivalent, or is it a fully-fledged aldea?

Only-slightly-off-topic regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 23:18 PM »
PS.
Arvak's reference to Tres Cantos being a small city, together with Dave's
while not being the biggest, we certainly are the best.
made me realise the perogrullada (En. anyone?), i.e. just as we talk about small/big towns, we can obviously talk about small cities... :dancing:
By the way, Arvak, give your alcalde my regards and tell him from me that TC is without doubt a large town :technodevil: - unless of course he decides to annex Canto Blanco  :angel:

Regs.,
Technopat

Simon

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 05:49 AM »
Mornin' All,

Local politics abound, I see, even in large towns and/or small cities.

A certain Alcalde of a city which I care not to remember :booklook: planned to 'generously' offer two large barrios the opportunity of independence, i.e. gaining their own municipality-hood (???). Interesting thought, and highly counterintuitive as one may suppose. But said barrios are where the workers, i.e. PSC, voters live! :technodevil:

Did I point out that this was a certain ex-Alcalde? :dancing:

Regs

Simon

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Hola

Soria, capital has a population of almost 40,000 and I have only every heard and read it referred to as a city. 

Alfonso VIII granted it a charter in the 12th century and Alfonso X, gave it a title of city in 1266 AD, so you can add Soria to the list.  :biggrin:

alfredo
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 13:30 PM by Spanish Footsteps »
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline arvak

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 13:45 PM »
Thanks Technopat, I'll give your regards to the Alcalde during the next vaccination date for his dog (je je je...)

I have enjoyed this topic . It's nice to read how  you can "afinar" with every thing.

Rgs. Arvak.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 14:50 PM »
Greetings Arvak and All,
I get "fine-tune" for Arvak's afinar - anyone for desafinar :dancing: as in cities and music? (whistling :technodevil:)
:angel: regs.,
Technopat

Simon

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 17:46 PM »
Hola,

OK, desafinar re. music I grant you. But cities; although I can imagine/invent I'm a bit nervous about this. I can get 'desafinar a la calle' , to be out of touch with the the man on the street, but can you do this with a whole city?

I also have an old Gypsy Kings tune rattling around in my head, something like 'Desafinando por la calle por feliz' but heaven knows what the title is! And I'm probably completely wrong anyway - I'm useless at hearing song lyrics! :dancing:

Regs
Simon

Offline arvak

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 21:12 PM »
Well, i said "afinar" in the sense of "sacar punta" ( it's what you do with an edge to make thinner the part of a pencil that is used to draw or write.)

Arvak.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 21:27 PM »
Greetings Arvak and Simon and All,
Afinar + sacar punta = do sostenido !!!!  :dancing: and :technodevil:

Simon

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Nice one chaps! I was tempted to get on with 'hone' and 'cutting edge' but I suspect the powers t. b. are being hypervigilante at the moment!  :technodevil:

Simon

PS we can carry one here though  :technodevil:

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=1610.0