Iberianature Forum

Keyhole gardens

• 2 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: June 04, 2008, 00:40 AM »
Greetings Sue and Clive and All,
Thought the following might be of interest for those of you interested in growing your own veggies and have the time and/or inclination to carry out experiments with a control:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7432972.stm

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention :clapping:

Please-let-us-know-the-results regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Hi tp,

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where soil still has a reasonable amount of fertility although it is taking a lot of work to make it as good as it was hundreds of years ago.... Year in year out, crops have been grown here and hardly anything ever given back to the soil.... Malpractice and deep ploughing has lost the top soil layer which we are re creating using our own methods..

As to growing your own food, even the smallest of apartment terrace can grow a couple of tomato plants and if no terrace then switch to seed sprouts that are probably even better for your health....

What do you grow Tp?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 22:46 PM »
Greetings Clive and All,
One of the advantages of being a prescient Full 'Shroomey is that it gives one a certain no-se-quĂ© (Fr. anyone?  :technodevil: ), or what my Old Man would have called downright cheek, and, on top of that, the ability to steer topics onto subjects that are of especial interest to one (but probably not more than one  :angel: ).

Had been meaning to ask y'all 'bout growing sprouts - from "seeds", not of the Brussels variety - 'cos Technopatlet No. 2 has been enthusiasticaly growing 'em from garbanzos, lentils and can't-remember-what-else (and his Old Man was proudly able to show the lad what happens when you plonk the top slice of a carrot in water - talk about growth hormones!). My question is, given that some legumes are apparently toxic, or slightly so, unless thoroughly boiled, does anyone know if there are any issues involved in eating the sprouts of same? In other words, can I safely let the nipper eat the produce of his experiments with our incredibly expensive "integral" legumes? Is there an optimum height/age at which said sprouts are better eaten? Apart from the manadatory biology homework tasks we all did as kids, does anyone else have practical experience and/or knowledge?

Thanking-y'all-in-advance-for-your-comments regs.,
Technopat

PS.
Clive, in answer to yer
What do you grow Tp?
, older? wiser? Now if the question had been put in the past tense... :dancing:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266