Iberianature Forum

New bat species identified in Catalonia

• 2 Replies

Simon

« on: June 06, 2008, 09:02 AM »
Hello Bat-freaks,

I've just trawl across this news on the Catalan government's environment department's website (phew!) dated 13/5/08:

"In the summer of 2007 researchers Carles Flaquer (Granollers Museum of Natural Sciences) and Xavier Puig (Galanthus) captured what would prove to be the 28th species of bat present in Catalonia in  L’Alt Pirineu Natural Park and the Alta Garrotxa Area of Natural Interest. This identification has been made thanks to collaboration with researchers from Doñana Biological Station (under the Spanish National Research Council), which has recently proven through genetic tests that the species is the Italic Natterer's bat (Myotis sp.), recently separated from the Iberian Natterer's bat (Myotis escalerai). This find is proof that, despite its small size, Catalonia is home to all bat species present on the Iberian Peninsula except two."

Here are the full details:

http://mediambient.gencat.net/eng//el_medi/parcs_de_catalunya/alt_pirineu/Nova_esp_cie_de_ratpenat_per_Catalunya.jsp?ComponentID=150624&SourcePageID=133724#1

Regs

Simon :sign:

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 23:24 PM »

Hi Simon, great news...but...
sorry - the name is confusing me  :speechless:

surely they have a scientific name...being scientists that did the research!!
They can't get away with Myotis sp.

I wonder if they meanMyotis nattereri(Kuhl 1818)and the word ITALIC was meant to be part of the typing instructions..in italic
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Simon

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 23:49 PM »
Hi Sue,

Good point, I too was a bit sceptical about this mysterious 'Sp,'!  :)

So I've found the original in Catalan, after  bit of a struggle  :banghead: here's the pertinent bit:

". . .que fa pocs dies han confirmat mitjançant anàlisi de mostres genètiques que es tracta del ratpenat itàlic de Naterer (Myotis sp1), espècie recentment separada del ratpenat ibèric de Naterer (Myotis escalerai)."

Here 'itàlic' means 'Italian' or of Italian origin, rather than in italics. A swift check on the dictionary  :booklook: proves this beyond doubt, first definition for meaning is the former,

"1 adj Relatiu o pertanyent a la Itàlia antiga."

Whereas the word use in the sense of calligraphy comes in at a paltry seventh,

"7   lletra itàlica (o simplement itàlica)  GRÀF 1  Tipus de lletra romana inclinada."

Acknowledgement to: http://www.enciclopedia.cat/

But you're right to be suspicious about the scientific name though. In the original it's rendered, "Sp 1" I wonder if this was some sort of a footnote in the manuscript? Maybe the author hinting that a subspecies be named after him!  :technodevil:

Cheers

Simon

PS don't you just love the name 'ratpenat' a sort of conjugations of 'hanging mouse'!  :dancing: