Iberianature Forum

Cuckoo

• 8 Replies

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« on: March 24, 2007, 21:17 PM »
It is official, spring is here in the Sierra de Grazalema, a Cuckoo called  today!

Anyone else heard them yet?

Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Simon

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:51 AM »
I know you’d beat us to it, Sue, but I claim unfair latitude advantage!

Seriously, well, semi-seriously. I have a pet theory that migrating birds arrive in sync with the trees budding, but I’ve never been systematic enough to check it out. Does anyone else have the same idea and would it be fun to put it to the test next year, monitoring a few species and ticking off the glorious day?

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:25 PM »
Greetings All,
Excellent idea, Simon!
We should def. take full advantage of our correspondents being so widely distributed over the Ib. pen. It would be interesting to see how soon the sighting can be replicated at another geographical point.
Suggest that someone who knows what's what draws up a checklist of things we should look out for, when and where. I'm quite happy to hear the cuckoo and simply take for granted that I should be hearing it at this time of year!

I reckon that such a list should be posted on the Other Stuff board under something like:
Ongoing Iberianature Survey - Birds
Ongoing Iberianature Survey - Flowers
Ongoing Iberianature Survey - Mushrooms, etc.

and then each individual spotting can be gone into in more detail on the corresponding board.

We'll have to keep Dave's tapas out of it somehow - likewise lurid tapa thumbnails on the header.

Look forward to some great spottings, sightings and pottings over the coming years!

Enthusiastic egs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 22:27 PM »
Hi Simon and Technopat

yes you are right to " claim unfair latitude advantage!"

I'll give you that, and if it makes you feel any better we already have mosquitoes and i saw a horse-fly today, all be it a bit dozy with the hail storm n all.

The Bee-eaters normally arrive on the 1st April, last year they got here on the 28th March plus a Nightingale's first few notes heard on the 27th March so i'll be listening and will let you both know.

The Golden oriole waits until there are more leaves out, clever little creature.

(Some people like stats, i like notes and lists!)

Regards, Sue
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 23:05 PM »
Greetings Sue,
Just happened to bump into this thread on my way to setting up a mosquito one. Hailstorm bad for the crops orchids?
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 21:28 PM »
Hi Technopat,

the veggie plot is definitely on standby until the sun offers a bit more warmth. No time to visit the orchids 'till next week (there are 7 varieties flowering at the moment).

Regards, Sue
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 23:44 PM »
Greetings Sue,
And each of the 7 varieties of flowering orchids is more luridly coloured than the next, I suppose!

I take it that they attract butterflies and bees - if so, have you noticed whether there is a preference for any particular colour depending on bicho?

Regs.
Technopat

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I can report that Cuckoos have reached the north - heard one calling just outside Barcelona yesterday. 

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 22:44 PM »
Hi Lucy,

that didn't take so long! To begin with here they gave a couple of sneaky, evening test calls, but then after a couple of days became more brave.

Anyone else heard them yet??

(Hey Technopat, the answer to your question on orchid pollinators is pretty interesting, i'll try and place some links in the flower zone.)

Regards, Sue

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=207.0
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 23:32 PM by Sue »
www.grazalemaguide.com