Iberianature Forum

Catalogue of indigenous farm animals

• 7 Replies

Simon

« on: September 05, 2008, 21:20 PM »
I recall Nick talking during the Grazalema summit :sign: about a pet  :technodevil: project of his, namely a photo archive of old fashioned farm animals, Andalusian black chickens, etc.

Just to start the ball rolling, our village goatherdess has a habit of picking up strangers (some of them are very strange indeed!) but last week we mat Newton* for the first time. I hesitate to identify him as a Catalan 'Porc Negre' for lack of sufficient identity, but at least he's black and he's definitely a 'porc'! :technodevil:

Simon

* Newton? Well, he lies around all day waiting for apples to fall from the trees!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:44 AM by Simon »

Offline aspen

• Semilla Besada
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 17:26 PM »
We have a breeding flock of Andaluz Azul chickens, which are a indigenous rare breed.   They are a light breed, and we have found them excellent foragers and more importantly, willing and able to rear their own young.   This year, we have had 10 mothers which have reared a total of 28 chicks!   The 'blue' colour (really slate grey) is a recessive gene, which means that when the chicks are born some are blue, some black and some white with black splashes.   Rare breed clubs will cull all but the grey, including any with yellow legs.   However, our concerns are to maintain a healthy productive utility breed which provides us with eggs and meat.   If anyone is interested in rearing these amiable birds, contact me on (0034) 958 347 053.   I would love to insert a picture, but clicking on insert image, didn't seem to help so .... until someone enlightens me, no picture ???
Aspen
farm website:  www.holisticdecisions.com
farm blog;  http://semillabesada.wordpress.com   
Aspen Edge
Sustainable Dryland Management
www.holisticdecisions.com

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 17:45 PM »
I would love to insert a picture, but clicking on insert image, didn't seem to help so .... until someone enlightens me, no picture ???

You after your third post. This is your third so try again...

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Simon

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Hi Aspen and pault,

Thanks to you both for following up your interest in this arcane branch of Iberianature!

Aspen, I loved  your web page and I'm looking forward to receiving your regular newsletter from now on! Your description, above, of the chooks brings back childhood memories of broody bantams and my parents attempts at self-sufficiency, spurred on by the works of John Seymour no less (that should give you a hint of my great age :technodevil:).

Meanwhile, here is a altogether different end of the spectrum; I came across a herd of Pyrenean Brown Cow (Vaca Bruna) over the weekend. They are a registered variety and I'm not certain that this individual is an actual pure bred example, but it led me to this excellent site  listing all of the Catalan varieties. Not only cattle but sheep, goats, horses, donkeys and dogs. And, of course, fowls!

Sing along:

Beasts of England, Beasts of Ireland
Beasts of every land and clime . . .

Simon

Offline aspen

• Semilla Besada
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 18:45 PM »
Hello Folks!
Pault, this is what was inserted into my reply .... .... when I selected insert image, any further pointers for this Komputer Klutz? ???

Further to indigenous domestic animals, we have just been given a fabulous resource by the Estación Experimental del Zaidín in Granada:  a three volume write up of all their research since 1986 around traditional agriculture and conservation.   The second volume is entitled Las Razas Ganaderas de Andalucía, which includes write-ups on all the different breeds of domestic animals.   If anyone is interested in learning more or finding out where they can get access to this information, do contact me on aspen...at... holisticdecisions you know there is a dot her...com.

Thanks for the kind comments, Simon, about the newsletter.  If you want to access daily insights, then you can do so by visiting our blog on http://semillabesada.wordpress.com.

all the best,
Aspen
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 18:51 PM by Clive »
Aspen Edge

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Good work Aspen

Yesterday's El Pais has this feature on the loss of Spanish breeds:

En cinco años han desaparecido 60 razas de vacas, cabras, cerdos y caballos

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/sociedad/sabores/perdidos/abuela/elpepusoc/20080914elpepisoc_1/Tes
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:58 AM by nick »
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Simon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:36 AM »
Hi Aspen,

Nice blog. Lots of interesting stuff on fires. I have an aquaintace who has just written a book about fire management. The Catalans have an enviable record of improvements to containmet and  control, using computer modelling of the terrain and air behaviours (courtesy of the excellent cartographic and meteorological institutes) that the fire department use to plan their 'attack' on the fire. They've also found a protocol that allows them to work around the prickly issue of 'sacrifice' zones when they deploy.  :technodevil:

But I digress (In fact I've started a new post on the subjest). Back on topic  :dancing:; I recall that when the Grazalema Summit visited Jerez Zoological gardens there was a project to sustain rare domestic animals. I think I remember that they gave away chickens to anyone wanting to maintain the breeds. Clive knows all about this and has the contacts there, maybe that also something for you Aspen?

It sounds like you have a fasciating resource from Granada Uni. I know Nick would be keep to draw together a sort of database of breeds from all around Iberia (not forgetting the Archipelagos of course!) I hesitate to push this too much, however, as I feel myself getting 'volunteered'  :technodevil:

Regs

Simon

Offline aspen

• Semilla Besada
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 17:27 PM »
Hello Clive,

Do you have details about the Jerez Zoological project, and the 'give-away-rare-breeds' aspect?   You can contact me via my profile link

all the best,
Aspen

Email address removed... Placing a live email address into a forum post will probably lead to you getting a huge amount of spam emails
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:43 AM by Clive »
Aspen Edge