Iberianature Forum

orchid - Early marsh? Heath spotted? something else?

• 4 Replies

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« on: September 12, 2008, 14:11 PM »
In the Pyrenees I came across what must have been one of the last of this year's orchids, growing in a marshy spot near a lake.  My guide to the area has Heath spotted orchid (D. maculata) as the most likely species to find in wet areas, but I've read the Heath spotted has a "frilled" lower petal, rather than toothed. Looking at the gallery, Lisa's Early marsh orchid looks very similar to mine.  No leaves to help I'm afraid.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 22:55 PM »
Looks like it to me Lucy. Late though isn't it? I've noticed here in a place where the two flower together that the Early marsh will be right in the marsh while the Heath-spotted prefers the edge. But don't go by that!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14 AM »
A couple of other possibilties Lucy. Southern marsh orchid which has the flower lobes splayed rather than pointed backwards. From the photo one of your flowers appear to be pointing back but the others don't  ??? Or, Dactylorhiza majalis?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:16 AM by lisa »
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Out with Teresa yesterday I mentioned your orchid Lucy. She reckons the most likely culprit to be majalis,Broad-leaved or Western marsh orchid. A problem is that it hybidises readily with other species. We need the leaves to help with this one. Do you remember what they were like?
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for your help Lisa, but I can't even remember seeing the leaves!  I never learn - get so hypnotised by the flower and forget that a simple photo of the leaves would make life much easier later.  The only other information I can give is that it was at 2,200m.