Iberianature Forum

Wild Freesia ?

• 1 Replies

Offline tonyninfas

« on: March 28, 2007, 18:26 PM »
Hi

I am new to this forum and having not been very long in Spain you will probably think what an old buffoon when you read this message.  Anyway, having finally managed to find a dry spot amongst the rain here I went for a walk in the Els Ports Natural Park, and came across what I believed to be a patch on wild white freesia.  Can anyone tell me if this plant does grow wild, or have I come across a plant that has managed to naturalise itself and spread ?
There are the remains of an old property nearby.

Thanks

Tony

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 19:50 PM »
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

i just checked out the origin of freesias as they didn't show up in my Mediterranean flower books..this is what i found...

"Introduced into cultivation in 1878
Freesia is a genus of about 14 species. Freesia bulbs are usually grown for use as cut flowers. All the 14 species of Freesia are African in origin. Of The 14 Freesia species, 12 are native to Cape Province, South Africa, the remaining two to tropical Africa, with one these species extending north of the equator to Sudan. Freesia flowers are very fragrant, typically white or yellow, and are borne in spike like racemes. This blooming beauty captures your heart and is a springtime favourite."

information found on this link...
http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/mostpopularflowers/morepopularflowers/freesia

I know of several types of plants that have naturalized so like you say they probably broke free from the nearby garden. Enjoy them, it must smell lovely.

We are in the middle of a hail storm just now so all the flowers out for spring are going to be the worse for it in the morning!

Regards, Sue

(terrible spelling corrected by Clive)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 20:16 PM by Wildside »
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com