Iberianature Forum

Fantasic colours on the Cerro de Caballo above Lanjaron

• 2 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: July 04, 2009, 14:19 PM »
I saw at first hand the legacy of the great winter snowfall of 2008/2009 yesterday on a trip up to the Ventura trailhead in the Sierra Nevada mountains above Lanjaron. July is normally a dry and dusty scene of browns and greys but as we rounded the corner above the Lanjaron valley we saw a variety of vivid colours leading up the valley to the Cerro de Caballo.

Bright yellow brooms and gorses, bright green shrubs filled the valley sides as we headed up to our high point at 2200 to drop off a party of self guided trekkers off to enjoy the delights of the Sierras.

There was even a stream running near the Ventura hut. I can’t remember when this last ran in July. More evidence of the high snowfall we have enjoyed the past winter. Some snow still exits on the high mountains too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 14:29 PM by Clive »

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 15:06 PM »
Looks great!

I just came back from a couple of days on the north side of Sierra Nevada. A lot of flowers, interesting shrubs, water in many streams - but few birds! Is that normal (the birds!)? I haven´t got anything to compare with. My only previous visit to the area was a foggy day in February, about 20 years ago!  :speechless:

regards
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 15:43 PM »
Hi Petrea

We havn't seen many birds either, but we are hopeing our resident bird man will be joining a 6 day traverse of the Sierra Nevada from Cerro de Caballo to Puerta de la Ragua on 13th July so I will be able to report more once they are back.

Maria