Iberianature Forum

Flying with Vultures

• 2 Replies

Offline BikerBoy

• Andalucian Cycling Experience
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Well I don't know about anyone else but I've often been out riding in the Andalucian countrside and not only seen vultures circling above but people paragliding.

So yesterday, a very good friend of mine, Rob called and invited me on a tandem paragliding jump/flight. I agrred all too quickly without giving much thought to what was involved.

Launch time was set for 3pm from the huge mountain behind Algodonales. All the experts were gathering and discussing wind direction, cloud formation/buildup and thermals. All a bit technical for me, all I wanted to know was if we were flying or not. As I tried to control those growing nerves in the pit of my stomach.

3.30pm. I was stood in my harness/seat attached to the pilot waiting for the signal that we were off. Rob inflated the glider turned and shouted run. Within a few seconds my feet were treading air as we took flight. We soon climbed to 3600ft using the thermals to gain height. What a great vew of Andalucia!!

We flew for over an hour with vultures all around us. The first thing that struck me was the peace and tranqulity, the pure air and the beauty of flying so close to these wonderful vultures. At one point we were circling in the same thermal as 5 vultures, they were several hundred foot below and as we looked down on them we could clearly see all their markings. They looked so graceful soaring in the skies around us. Great!! Thanks Rob for a truely wonderful experience. Can't wait to see the photo's.

Rob is available for tandem flights all year round. For more information contact Rob or Ncky at ifo@flyspain.co.uk or go to their website www.flyspain.co.uk
BikerBoy

Passionate about Pedalling, Bonkers about Bikes, Mad about Mountains

www.andaluciancyclingexperience.com

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 13:48 PM »
Greetings BikerBoy,
Thanx for that link - looks great!
Gives me a good excuse to "drop in on" on folks I know down south!

Regs.
Technopat

Ps. and a chance to get some close-ups of vultures that'll set an all-time high on this forum!
Pps. if yours don't come out right, that is!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 13:51 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 14:05 PM »
Not sure if I'd know how to tell vultures apart from paragliders, though. 'Spose the two wheels of the tandem would be one way of identifying 'em (images of folks seated on tandems pedalling off from the side of mountain ...).

Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266