Iberianature Forum

Lataste's vipers

• 1 Replies

Offline quentin

« on: January 20, 2012, 20:18 PM »
Yesterday, 19/01/12, I was very surprised to come across a dead Lataste's Viper (Vipera Latasti) or Vibora hocicuda on a forestry road near Chella, Valencia. Although we are enjoying mostly warm days (16+ degrees C) every morning we awake to a frost. The snake I found was about 6 inches long and seemed to have been recently killed. I base this on the fact that it wasn't dried out and was quite limp. As it was in the middle of the track I assume it was run over but I suppose it might have been stamped on.

This was a great find for me as I haven't seen any reptiles for a month or so and I've only ever seen one Lataste's Viper before. There is not a lot going on in this area at this time of year so this was a great find.

Has anyone else seen any reptile life this month?

Andy

Ps The photo clearly shows it's upturned "snout" and vertical pupil. Such a shame it was dead!

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 21:18 PM »
Hi Andy, that is such a shame, I've only once (knowingly) seen this species.
We are seeing Iberian wall lizards (Podarcis hispanica) almost daily as it has been warm by midday despite the morning frosts and on the 6th of January I saw a Horseshoe Whip Snake (Coluber hippocrepis) killed on the road. So yes some activity around Grazalema too this January.
Regards,
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com