Iberianature Forum

Climate change and the weather this year

• 1 Replies

Offline Tore

« on: May 26, 2007, 21:08 PM »
Having only experienced one spring/summer in Spain so far, that of 2005 (as I was on a lengthy holiday in Iraq last year), I wonder if someone could tell me what to expect from the rest of this summer. I do not remember that April and May were supposed to be so depressingly wet as has been the case, but I have been told by some Spanish friends that this summer is supposed to be the hottest in a hundred years.
Can anyone tell me what is on the Spanish grapevine, at least amongst those who are suppoosed to know what is going on...?
Simply put, given that we have apparently had an unusual start this year (weatherwise), what can we expect for the rest of the year?
regards
Tore
Tore

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 23:13 PM »
Greetings Tore and All,
The weather is always a nice topic to turn to on occasions  >:D.
I would only ever trust the observations - of weather past and present - of an older person who still works his/her own land. People's memories here in Spain (and elsewhere?) are notoriously short when it comes to weather from previous years. I remember snow in Madrid - not the sierra - in May a few years back, whereas most people will tell you it hasn't snowed here for 20 years.

That said, I too am notoriously wrong in my predictions, having spent the last few months worried about Spain's third successive year of drought and not at all looking forward to the water rationing which I had been predicting. (My big argument, however, is not the quantity of water but the quality of same, and no-one else seems to distinguish 'tween the two  ???).

As for your survival chances over a long, hot summer here in Madrid, living out in your neck of the woods shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially evenings and nights. The real heat here is exacerbated by the buildings and roads in the centre. Beware however, of the air-conditioning. As I'm sure you will already have noticed this winter, folks over here have the central heating on full whack and then, come summer, air-conditioning likewise. Result: most people in Madrid have colds in winter and in summer :-X.

Gazpacho is a great invention  :)!

Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
Dave will be able to tell you the names of the places, 'cos up his neck of the woods, there are villages where you need a blanket at night even in summer.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266