Iberianature Forum

Conservation protection for Liébana

• 5 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Last week I joined an eco-tourism guide course held in the Picos de Europa National Park's interpretation centre in Liébana. For those who don't know, Liébana is the western-most comarca of Cantabria bordering the western flanks of the Picos and consists of three main valleys of the rivers Deva, Bullón and Quiviesa, all of which converge at Potes.
In the mornings there were trips out in the field with professional photographers, biologists and conservationists (which I, sadly, couldn't join) and the afternoons were devoted to talks given by them.
For me, the most interesting thing to have been spawned by the week is the possibility of an association being formed by a network of concerned individuals with the aim of conserving and promoting the natural beauty of the valleys while preserving Lebaniego traditions. (I've already got some ideas for the name of the association  8)) Much of Liébana is outside the park boundaries, leaving an awful lot of unprotected land and it's natural, geographic situation has caused it to be isolated for many years.
A "fiesta de la naturaleza" including guided natural history walks has been suggested to accompany the already existing "fiesta de queso" and "fiesta del orujo."
A blog will be the first step in the growth of the association, enabling members to discuss the way forward and swap ideas for it's future growth. As I see it, joining other NGO's would strengthen possible influence so that opposition to and control of such unmentionables as quad bikes (whoops, I mentioned them  ::)) could actually have some power. Seo/Birdlife have already promised their support.
If anyone has any suggestions or experience of setting up such an organisation, they would be very welcome.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 20:10 PM »
Hello Lisa and all of you in Cantabria and beyond,

I love your part of Spain and will follow up with some pictures from my archive, meanwhile, good luck with your NGO (or rather,ONG)!

Simon

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 21:52 PM »
Thanks Simon, it would be great to see some photos before the valleys are covered by gold courses  :o
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Simon

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:45 AM »
Lisa,

I was fascinated to read about your expedition and the attempts to get a bit of control over the landscape. This rings a bell wit me a local activists here in Lleida managed to save the Congost de Collegats ravine from a major road improvement scheme, the N260, which in the end had to tunnel almost it’s entire length alongside the pristine ravine, leaving the original road to revert to nature and making a fabulous easy walking route! They did this by getting its status changed using just about every classification from game reserve, fishing reserve, ‘Paratge Pintoresque’ , etc.

I’ve been searching through my archives for the name of the group that put all this together, but to no avail (which is probably why I’m in a state of such high dudgeon see http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,423.0.html) but your contacts may be able to find out if armed with a few key words and fact, to give them the idea of how to go about it. But some key words will be as follows:

Serra de Boumort
Congost de Collegats: –
Declarat Paratge Pintoresc (Decret 25 de gener de 1992)
Reserva Natural Parcial de la Noguera Pallaresa – Collegats (Decret 123/81-1987)

I do know, however, that all these rules and regulations regarding classification of wild spaces are powers devolved to the Autonomous Regional Governments, so my experience is of only broad value as the various laws regarding the congost pertain only to Catalonia.

Keep right on to . . .

Simon

PS I haven't fotgotten about the photos, I'm just having a bad head day!

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Thankyou Simon.
The guy in charge of our project seems to be very good at procuring subvenciones for conservation-minded courses so I suspect will be pretty on top of how to go about opposing threatening projects but I think every knowledge helps so I will look into that info. which is particularly pertinent to the planned "improvements" to the C627 from Palencia. Apparently viaducts are included in this scheme over one of the main valleys of Liébana which runs from the Piedraslenguas pass down to Potes.
We've seen various surveyors with theodolites working in the Desfiladero de La Hermida (the gorge between Liébana and the coast). Darwin knows how they're thinking of "improving" that stretch. Would have to involve tunnelling through the rock to make a nice big, fast road.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Simon

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 16:15 PM »
Hi Lisa,

For what it's worth the tunnels in the Congost de Collegats are about 6 kilomtres long in all. There was no engineering reason to built them like this, it was all down to the environment! So a small victory and perhaps some light at the end . . . No I can't  :poketongue:

Good luck

Simon