Iberianature Forum

Birding in the Alicante mountains

• 2 Replies

Offline Els Frares

• On the Sierra Bernia
    • Mountain walks and activity holidays in Spain
« on: October 08, 2007, 13:50 PM »
In May of this year we ran our first dedicated birding trip and were joined by my past guests who had been on our walking holidays and who had a serious interest in birds.
We were fortunate to be joined by Brett Westwood the well known presenter and producer of wild life and nature programmes for BBC Radio 4.  The trip surpassed even my expectations and Brett declared it as one of his best birding experiences in Europe. Even he managed to get some new ticks during the week. The week covered 5 different habitats in the Alicante mountains and as a bonus , a day in the Albufera of Valencia which was described by members of the party as a " mega twitch".  A breakdown of the trip and bird list is available on our blog sitewww.mountainwalks.blogspot.com .  The attached picture was taken on the rim of the Barranco del Sinc on a grey May day . Griffon vultures flew close overhead. Would you believe some of the party failed to spot them.
Quatretondeta, the heart of the muntanya d'Alacant.Active holidays that respect the environment. Only 50 kms from Benidorm yet 50 years away. The alternative face of tourism. www.mountainwalks.com

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 15:24 PM »
That's a good list you have there Brian,

I am very interested in your solar energy system mentioned in the instalment before the birding one... I wonder if you have the time could you start a separate topic about it? It has been 10 months since your install and so it would be interesting to see if you have made some early financial savings on general power usage through both the hot water and electricity systems you have (excluding initial outlay of course)... Any info on grants and incentive schemes for this sort of thing? And your general opinion of the system you have had installed...

PS i fixed your signature link to Els Frares website... It works now...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Els Frares

• On the Sierra Bernia
    • Mountain walks and activity holidays in Spain
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 22:43 PM »
Thanks Clive
I will set up a separate topic on solar use tomorrow
Brian
Quatretondeta, the heart of the muntanya d'Alacant.Active holidays that respect the environment. Only 50 kms from Benidorm yet 50 years away. The alternative face of tourism. www.mountainwalks.com