Iberianature Forum

Mammals of the Picos de Europa

• 10 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Following an interesting email conversation with Sue in which she pointed out to me the correct scientific name for the rebeco - Rupicapra pyrenaica ssp. parva, I discovered that this animal is apparently (usually reliable source) an Isard. Anybody heard that name in English use?
Looking around Sue has plumped for "Cantabrian chamois" as its common English name for their page on Wildside Holidays Picos de Europa National Park while I'm hedging my bets with "Cantabrian, or Southern, chamois" for Mammals of the Picos de Europa.
Isard appears to be used in French and Catalán, I can't find any reference in English.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Greetings Lisa and All,
I get isard in Catalán and Aranés but not in English - for which I only get chamois, either:
Cantabrian chamois Rupicapra pyrenaica parva , or
Pyrenean chamois Rupicapra pyrenaica pyrenaica
as opposed to chamois on its own which refers to the Alps.

Wikipedia gives:
The Pyrenean Chamois, (French: izard or isard, Spanish: rebeco or gamuza, Aragonese: sarrio or chizardo, Catalan: isard )

Nothing like being told what you already know  ??? - but that's the long and the s. of it!
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Going up a rung, I get  goat antelope at Wikipedia, which is better than wild goat, anyhow - which reminds me: "estar como una cabra" anyone?  :dancing:

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:05 AM »
Thanks TP. At least the scientific name is correct now.
At the risk of some people  :banghead: we now have in Iberia recognised sub-species of larger mammals variously;
Canis lupus signatus, Iberian wolf, lobo ibérico.
Lynx pardinus, Iberian lynx, lince ibérico.
Capra pyrenaica, Spanish ibex, cabra montés.
Rupicapra pyrenaica, Pyrenean chamois, sarrio.
Rupicapra pyrenaica parva, Cantabrian chamois, rebeco.

And the Cantabrian brown bear is still just plain old Ursus arctos, not yet officially recognised as Ursus arctos pyrenaicus. What really annoys me is that I often see it on the 'net described as being at Low Risk and of Least Concern in the IUCN Red List because it's still lumped together with the rest of the world populations of brown bear. Look at that list - Spain is on it  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I promise to try not to mention this again
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Lisa,
Please don't carry out your promise not too mention it (
at Low Risk and of Least Concern in the IUCN Red List
), etc., again - I think you are right to mention it at any opportunity, and by doing so, hopefully one day, the message will get across ...

I've made it a policy over recent weeks not to reply to your postings on animals being killed - not because the issue doesn't worry me in the slightest, but rather because it affects me too much and I don't want to enter into the fray and speak my mind, as it would lower the tone of iberianature  :-X

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:45 AM »
I don't expect any replies on them, what can one say? Can't bring myself to use any smilies either - too upset.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 20:22 PM »
Hi Lisa,
i can hear those teeth grinding from here!

TP is right to say keep mentioning the brown bear division, which would consequently lead to more protection. Everything starts as an idea, some things need airing to gain momentum.

As to the Chamois, i am all for common names being descriptive. It is so much easier for people to remember. If a name is impossible to remember or difficult to pronounce do you think that they will care for the creature?
Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 22:17 PM »
Don't think I'll ever forget "Isard" now though  :biggrin:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 18:44 PM »
I decided to give the Cantabrian Brown Bear, Ursus arctos arctos a page to itself. At least if I belatedly spot any bloomers, I'll be able to rectify them  8)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 20:19 PM »
Greetings Lisa,
Is that an open invitation to go for the bloopers, gremlins, typos and as you call 'em, bloomers? :technodevil: - it does not detract from the excellent content in any way - and you can always blame 'em on the Windows spell-checker  >:D
Regs.
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 22:03 PM »
Any proof reading much appreciated. I can re-read something I've written 'til I'm blue in the face and still not see any obvious mistakes until weeks or months later  :booklook:  :booklook:  :booklook:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa