Iberianature Forum

Red Kite

• 7 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: February 26, 2007, 18:43 PM »
Dear All
Excellent sighting yesterday, at close range, a beautiful Red Kite (Esp. Milano Real) (Lat. Milvus Milvus),
the first of the season. it was hunting low, near the river Torio, a scant few kilometers from Leon city centre
This leads me to a question
The Red Kite appears here in Spring and early to mid summer, then it disappears and is replaced by the
 Black Kite( Esp. Milano Negro) (Lat. Milvus Migrans) which is with us until the start of winter. is the red kite migratory
 and if so why does it leave us mid summer, is it to do with the heat, and if so where does it go, after all it is
 not a bird of the high cool mountains, as far as I know. The second question, where is the black kite in spring,
as it is only really June and early July when you see the two kites together
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 15:50 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Just heard on the radio this morning (see following post http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=76.0) that the year's first Black Kite has just been spotted - judging from the spotter's abode - in Cantabria.
Maybe you could email him (info@zoosantillanadelmar.com) and check it out with him.
Good luck!
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 15:54 PM »
And invite him to join the forum!
Cheers!
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 16:05 PM »
Dave,
He did mention that the B Kite had just come over from Africa on its way north, so maybe your part of the world is a bit off its flight path (assuming he was speaking from Cantabria) - deep fried prawn in breadcrumbs tapas notwithstanding.
Regs.
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 16:28 PM »
Hi Technopat
Thanks for the info, I have Emailed as suggested, and will await to see what happens, by the way the Tapa today was mejillones al a vinaigrette, braised kidneys or chorizo
Regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 13:54 PM »
Dear All
Lovely sighting today from the terrace in Leon, another, or possibly, the same Red Kite cruising high above the river, it came quite close so easily identified
regards
Dave

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 00:13 AM »
Hullo Dave,

I don't know if this is relevant for your statistics, but we saw a red kite in the foothills of the Pyrenees, on the French side, in the second week of January.
Collins shows them resident in Spain. But it also shows Stone Curlews ar resident, and yet we only see them here (in La Manga) in the Spring and Summer. ('Saw our first of the year yesterday, in fact.)
I can't imagine why anybody would want to live on the damp side of the mountains, instead of the sunny side, but I suppose it must be to do with food availability.

Buenas noches, Jill

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Dear Jill
Well I do believe they eat frogs, or is that racist, I guess they are a bit like the storks, some migrate perhaps some do not,
Thanks for the info
Regards
Dave