Whats going on with the weather?

• 12 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: August 26, 2007, 20:53 PM »
Ok, I don't live in the "wettest part of Spain" because I like the damp... Actually decided to live here in the Sierra de Grazalema because of its precipitation. More litres of water plus lots of sunshine equals perfect climate I thought... Whilst the Guadalquivir basin bakes and turns to dust the Grazalema mountains are supposed to be a green oasis due to a fluke of nature and these being the first mountains hit by the wind from the Atlantic that heats up across the lowlands and then is forced up to over 1500 metres.. Thus, cooling rapidly and making RAIN!

Am I being victimised by global warming? Has the wind changed? what is happening?

Not a drop of rain here whilst on the TV I see news reports from all corners of Iberia showing inundations and downpours. The rain is going around us... The clouds build and then move off. Two days ago they (the clouds) dropped a years supply of water right on the beach in Fuengirola (80 KM from us) flooding car parks and floating cars away.

what's going in Iberianatureforummers land? Anyone got any weather reports or explanations as to why the wet bit of Andalucia is dry?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 21:15 PM »
Hi Clive, Today has been the first day I've spent in Barcelona this month that feels more or less like August should: ie. It hasn't rained, the humidity is quite high and this evening the temperature is reluctant to fall.  Perhaps it's a sign that things are going back to normal and a cloud might be bursting over Grazalema any day.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 22:25 PM »
Anyone got any weather reports or explanations as to why the wet bit of Andalucia is dry?

'Cos apart from where Lucy and you are, it seems to be raining a lot and maybe there isn't enough water to go round. It's a pity, but 'cos of the torrential r. we were having, they had to cancel yesterday's vaquillas in the village :dancing: and all the silly **** got drenched - in-laws included! (Rain stopped pathetic displayplay)
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:56 AM »
Hi Everbody
Here in Leon, it has been a very strange August, some nights temperatures falling below 10 degs. , other nights hot and humid with thunderstorms, Torrential rain and very high winds. Normally it is hot and dry here, Usually by now the leaves are falling, due to the drought but this year they are staying in place, except when ripped off by the winds.
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 16:02 PM »
Thanks for the updates,

Right now here in Grazalema somebody turned the heating back up. Its 35 degrees but feels hotter and is very and sweaty. The sky is  a bit hazy but still no sign of rain. Our house is at 560 odd metres....

The leaves here are falling off the trees and shrubs plus quite a few poplars have died in the valley.

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 16:19 PM »
Hi TP
I bet the Toros were really disappointed with the cancellation. Today is hot and humid here at around 35o. Rain forecast tomorrow.
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 18:02 PM »
Greetings Dave and All,
The bochorno En. anyone?) here is unbearable today!
Will it, won't it?
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 18:14 PM »
Hi TP
You want the full Collins or the continental.
Bochorno
1. Sultry Weather. Oppressive weather. Stifling atmosphere. sultriness. (viento) hot summer breeze
2. Queer turn. hot flush. blush
3. (fig. verguenza) embarrassment. (feeling of) shame.
Need I go on
Suffice to say I am not sure whether its a bit warm down there, or you are embarrassed that it is a bit warm down there
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 19:30 PM »
Its just been on the TV about the huge hailstones in Fuentes de Carbajal, which is 50 odd KM south of Leon. I have never seen hailstones this size before... Cars smashed up by lumps bigger than golf balls. people injured caught out in them and they showed pictures of a barn that had its roof peppered with holes you could almost put your fist through...Amazing..

Clive

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 22:06 PM »
Greetings Dave and All,
Living here in Spain has made me far more aware of regional differences in language than I would ever've been "back 'ome" in the LOG, i.e. I'm more open to other people's use of words and expressions that don't sound quite right to me, and I've come to rely on context, body language, etc. to fill in the bits I don't get. Bit like when you have to watch the other guy's eyes to see when he's going to take a swing at you. Or is it his knees? Shoulders?

But seriously, honestly, would you walk into a pub back 'ome and say to the lads: "It's sultry out there today!"

I know what would happen down at what was my local if someone did that ... :technodevil:

I know Collins can't do better'n that, but give us a break! Any other words come to mind?

Regs.
Technopat

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 22:52 PM »
Stop hijacking my topic you lot... Its supposed to be about the weather! Now, where you are...You can play Iberian word games on the language bit....

In fact thats a great idea... new topic TP in the language board... weather sayings.... You know cats and dogs and cold enough to freeze the bits off a brass monkey etc etc

:)

Clive
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 22:59 PM by Wildside »

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 22:53 PM »
what about "muggy"?

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 22:56 PM »
Thank you, Lucy.
I knew someone would bring a bit of sanity (Sp. anyone?) to this 'ere thread before someone else 'ad kittens!  :technodevil:
Regs.,
Technopat