Iberianature Forum

Winter Wren habits

• 2 Replies

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« on: September 22, 2007, 22:37 PM »
There was a Winter Wren that insisted on making a nest in t shirts hung out to dry on our covered washing line in the spring. After several failed attempts (as I kept bringing in the washing) we donated an old jumper to the line and put some token moss into the shoulder.
Gift accepted, there was regular activity around the nest throughout the spring and long into the summer. I presumed that we had late broods until today - when a Wren just flew out!
My question… is it likely to use the jumper as a roost all through the winter too?

scientific - Troglodytes troglodytes
Spanish – Chochín

Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 13:15 PM »
I think that, depending on the exact location of the old jumper (is it dry, in a warm spot etc), I think it's quite possible that the Wren will utilise it for roosting,

Incidentally I'm crabby enough to point out that the Americanism "Winter" Wren isn't entirely appropriate in Europe, but I shan't rant over it!,

John

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 22:08 PM »
Hi John C,
yes the location is warm and dry so i shall leave the jumper in place and see what happens. I was tempted to take it down after the breeding season but knowing this, the Wren is welcome to keep it permanently.

I would say that the prefix of Winter is a misnomer since it is a resident.

Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com