Iberianature Forum

Fungi for indentification please

• 14 Replies

Offline ValL

« on: January 12, 2008, 21:32 PM »
During a walk on the edge of Donana we came across these beauties, hoping for indentification and whether any are edible thank you

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 22:05 PM »
Hey ValL... Happy new year :)

Wait till technopat see this lot!... Excellent images and i will leave it up to the experts......
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 00:36 AM »
Greetings ValL,
Many thanx for pix. Beautiful plummage!

It's too late to go through 'em now, will have a go tomorrow evening - though I'm sure someone will have a bash in the meantime  >:D

The first one is an obvious no-no, and at a glance they all are, but that's the precise point of these wonders of nature: unless you have a positive ID - books/internet photos do not count - leave well alone and stick to the lurid-coloured pix.

I imagine Doñana has a microclimate and all that, but how recent are those pix?

Regs.,
Technopat

PS.
I'm in training for when I eventually (Sp. anyone?) get my digital camera, so just thought I'd mention the 1 euro coin included in the close-ups ...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline ValL

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Happy new year to you both :)   wildside thanks for comments on the photos, I am quite pleased with most of them  :dancing:

My wee Fiji finepix digital is a great wee thing, not a lot of camera knowledge needed.... I leave it on auto and just press the 'macro' button when want close ups The gift of a mini tripod was a blessing  ( thanks my husband)

The photos were all taken this year 2008, I do keep forgettting about something to judge the size by sorry.  Must put a euro in camera bag !

The red one was about 4/5 cm across, the large round ones about 15 cm across.  There was an abundance of fungi all around, Doñana has many climates I believe, it is effectively wet lands, I have much research and exploring to be done there yet.  I do not yet have any books of flora fauna in Spain, my spanish is not good but  if anyone can suggest any books good for the purpose of indentification that would be very helpfull

Thanks for looking and replying,  Val

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 15:35 PM »
Magic mushrooms ValL (but I don't think so really.) While we're waiting for the expert, my favourite book for id'ing is the Macdonald Encyclopedia of Mushrooms and Toadstools which you can get through the Iberianature Bookshop. I'd be tempted to eat no's 3 (look like fairy ring mushrooms with a chill), 4 (saffron milk cappish??) and 5 (poss. Macrolepiota) but would check in at least one other book first. I'll get told off for this I know....
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 15:37 PM »
P.S. Didn't know the Polynesians were muscling in on the Japanese camera manufacturing industry  :technodevil:
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 19:44 PM »
Hi ValL

best book for all round plants is

Mediterranean Wild Flowers (Natural History)
by Marjorie Blamey

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/booksUK.htm

Click on "flowers and shrubs" from the category list and it is the second book in the list....... :)

Clive

ps please tell everyone you know to buy books from the iberianature forum.... Its where the best books are.... :)

pps sorry, terrible plugging but as a founding administrator I guess it is Ok.. Might have to moderate myself at some point...

ppps still, its all in the best interests of members here that we are now helping to supply essential books and guides etc etc..

:)

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 20:12 PM »
Hi ValL,

Five down looks like a parasol mushroom, one of the few I know!
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,837.0.html

While people are identifying, there's still one to be solved at the end of this link:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,854.0.html

Offline ValL

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Hello everyone, not been feeling well the last few days, wondered if anybody had solved any more of my shrooms  :)  need to go buy a spanish verb book and will look for shroom book when I get outdoors again.

Thanks

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 14:04 PM »
Hi ValL,

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well... Get better soon :)

I can't help with the identifications but I can help with the Spanish verb book and Mushroom Id books

Check out the categories for Spanish dictionaries etc

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 19:01 PM »
Hi ValL

Sorry to hear you have the bug.
Might be able to solve the Spanish Verbs problem.  When I did my quick one to one crash course my tutor recommended "Spanish Verb Tenses" in the Practice Makes Perfect series - written by Dorothy Devney Richmond by Passport Books. Has a slight american bias and isnt cheap but really it is an excellent and very clear practice book.
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 19:31 PM »
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses...
by Dorothy Richmond
£4.79

Page 3 of Spanish dictionaries etc...third row down

Right... enough of that.. time to name ValL's mushrooms....

Also there are some "chestnuts" that Lucy need identifying over at
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,854.msg8761.html#msg8761

Offline ValL

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 20:10 PM »
Just popped in to see if any Id's on the shrooms....... nope  :noidea:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 20:19 PM »
Ahh but ValL,

We thought you had popped out to buy that mushroom book from the forum bookshop and we were waiting for you to let us know what the fungusus was... :)

Of course with the language book you would also be able to write the names in English, latin and Spanish...

Come on Tp you said you would have a go here!

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 09:49 AM »
See you're feeling better then ValL. Right.

No. 3 - Marasmius oreades aka scotch (sorry) bonnet or fairy ring mushroom but be careful as any fungi that grows in a circle is likely to be called this. (I do, but...) In Spanish, senderuela. Caps edible and dry well.

No's 5 & 8, I think Lucy and I agreed that these are Macrolepiota procera, aka parasol mushrooms, Spanish - apagavelas, matacandelas, parasol, paloma and probably a million other names. Ditto edibility as 3.

No. 6 - Also a lepiota but different to the others, beware!

(Just suggestions of course  :))
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa