Iberianature Forum

Getting the message across ...

• 9 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:51 AM »
Greetings All,
Was hard put to decide whether to include this on an existing thread (Wildlife and language) or to go off on yet another irrelevant tangent. The creative adjustment eventually (Sp. anyone?) won over the conservative adjustment ... :dancing:

As many of y’all know, in the apparent safety of his own home, Technopat is subject to having his slightest comment and/or action scrutinised and assessed for its real – as opposed to apparent - meaning (for those of you new-ish to the iberianatureforum, Mrs Tp is a psychologist), and much in the same way that it is said dog-owners end up looking like their dogs (or is it t’other way round?), some of the mumbo-jumbo inevitably seeps through and lets itself calar (En. anyone?) into his sceptical, no-nonsense outlook on life.

The above is especially true when referring to concepts such as “It's not so much what you say as how you say it”, i.e. content can be presented in different ways to differing effect. A fact well-known and used to great (!) effect by politicians and other scare-mongers, charlatans, spin doctors, publicists, etc.

Today’s psychology quiz gem (answer forthcoming in the near future, together with relevant URL for y’all to read the full article and put to good use) is the following:

Which of the following 5 messages was most effective in getting hotel guests to re-use wet towels when placed (the messages, that is) at random in guests’ rooms?

1. “Help the hotel save energy”
2. “Help save the environment”
3. “Partner with us to help save the environment”
4. “Help save resources for future generations”
5. “Join your fellow citizens in helping to save the environment”

One-potato-two-potatoes-three-potatoes-four-(Sp.-anyone?) regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Hi TP,

I’d go for no. 5.  People don’t want to feel left out and this message suggests other folk are already helping to save the environment.  The “fellow citizens” is also appealing as it makes the hotel guests feel they belong to a group. This would be more persuasive than ideas of sacrificing comfort to help the hotel or future generations.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:33 AM »
6. "Please think twice before requesting fresh towels because of the waste of energy and water involved, when, unless they're very smelly, an air on the washing line will do just as well."
 :technodevil:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Hi TP and All
Yes 5 for me aswell
Regards
Dave

Offline potes

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Sorry to say it TP but I also follow the crowd and go for 5 there by proving the point .

regards

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 15:21 PM »
Greetings Folks,
Interesting the way the majority vote falls - will resist the temptation to post the answer till this evening and thereby let you change your minds and/or give others the chance to chip in. Lisa's great alternative is not in the running.
Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
Still waiting for Sp. equivalent of eventually and one potato ... and En. equiv. of calar ...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Steve West

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 17:17 PM »
Eventually = finalmente
Hasn't anyone got a dictionary?

Pito pito colorito
Dónde vas tu tan bonito
A la era verdadera,
Pim pom fuera.

(One potato-two potato)

Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 19:44 PM »
Hi All
And there was me thinking eventually was mañana in Spanish, but I do not think it is the dictionary translation
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 20:46 PM »
Greetings Steve and All,
In answer to your dictionary question, Steve, the sad fact is that most of 'em seem to make do with Collins, although only Dave actually owns up to it  :technodevil:

Yer pito, pito can be found at the following web site with childrens' rhymes, etc.:
http://www.tebytib.com/gest_web/proto_Seccion.pl?rfID=102&arefid=996

However, Mrs Tp and the Technopatlets insist that the "correct" (Madrid?) version is:
Pinto, pinto, gorgorito,
Saca la mano del 25,
¿En qué lugar? - en Portugal
Niño, ven aquí, te ha tocado -
¡a tí!
¡Pim, pam, pum!
¡Fuera!

Technopat's neutral version is that Pito, pito, gorgorito would make more sense, but the whole thing is nonsense, anyway ... or is it?

Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
And the En. version of eventualmente?

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Greetings All,
Having promised to give y'all the answer soonest have now reached the point where I cannot keep stalling (had been interested in seeing how many different takes there would be on this one, given that the initial responses were so categorical and also agreed fully.)

Once again, Technopat is forced to admit respect for his fellow and fellowess iberianatureforumers' knowledge in many matters.

The most effective message was, as y'all stated:
       “Join your fellow citizens in helping to save the environment”
And for the reasons y'all stated.

The rationale can be found in the following article Shaping Pro-Environment Behaviors - Certain Messages Work, Don't Work (which is actually a bit of a letdown after such a promising title) at the APA web site:

http://www.psychologymatters.org/environment.html

Impressed regs.,
Technopat