Iberianature Forum

Yet another illegal hunting ring broken up ... shortly after

• 1 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: March 13, 2008, 00:26 AM »
Greetings All,
Sorry to harp on about this, 'cos I know that out there Mother Nature has many luridly-coloured orchids, pretty flutterbutts and the like to look at and admire, but I do think maximum exposure should be given to the darker side of things: yet another bunch of **** rounded up by Seprona  :clapping: in "Operación Bambi"
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espana/Detenidos/cazadores/furtivos/Operacion/Bambi/elpepuesp/20080312elpepunac_14/Tes

Regs.,
Technopat

PS.
Never sure whether to celebrate these things or feel even worse 'cos they're probably only the tip of the iceberg ...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 14:47 PM »
Here's another. From the blog;

An important illegal hunting ring has been broken in the Cantabrian mountains where two men from Asturias and six from Leon have been arrested. Various arms were found in their houses along with frozen and dried animal remains. Included among the boar, deer and rebeco (chamois) discoveries were specimens of endangered animals, a European Genet and a Capercaillie, the latter a species threatened with extinction in these mountains. The men were arrested following months of detective work by Seprona, the wildlife protection unit of the Guardia Civíl, and are suspected of charging money for guiding hunts as also found were large amounts of cash and paperwork stamped and ready for the transportation of the “trophies”. Other possible species to be found in the area concerned are Cantabrian brown bear and Iberian wolf. The case is continuing and more arrests are likely.

www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.