Iberianature Forum

still can't upload photos to gallery due to my technical incompetence

• 4 Replies

Offline judith

« on: March 14, 2008, 21:02 PM »
Please can anyone help me?
I can't seem to change ,and keep changed, file size for uploading photo's to gallery.
I know it is due to my incompetence, rather than a fault on the site and was wondering if anyone on the forum could give me a complete idiot's guide to uploading, the more simple...words of one syllable... the better!
I have been encouraging the Peanut to take photo's to upload (...and no I can't use the digital camera either!) and now have some sort of dead ottery thing and a spider for i.d'ing as I can't seem to find them elsewhere.
I know it would be dead simple for most of you to popsitively i.d. them, if only you could see the pics.
Yours very humbly and hopefully
Judith

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 23:18 PM »
Hi Judith.

What camera are you using and what software do you use to edit the images once they are downloaded to the computer? Something that came with the camera possibly?

Once i know that I can tell you how to save your images for web use...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline judith

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Hi Clive,
The camera is a Fuji Finepix S9500 and we have Adobe photoshop for editing pics. We use hotmail to send e-mails etc rather than the windows one.
By the way, we tried to send the pics to you via e-mail three times, but they were all returned as unable to deliver....would this also be because the file size is too large?
Many thanks for trying to help.
Judith

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 18:22 PM »
Hi Judith...

Yes, hotmail limit the file size of an attachment so I guess that is why the images have not been delivered to my email...

You don't say which version of photoshop you are using but the controls are fairly similar through the various versions...

Ok, so open your image in photoshop and then click

IMAGE>>>DUPLICATE IMAGE  Give the image copy a name and then click on OK

Now close the original image so that it safely remains an un-edited original......

Next....IMAGE>>>RESIZE>>>IMAGE SIZE

Look in the box marked as "resolution and make sure it has the number 72 in it... If it doesn't change the number to 72 and click on OK

Next IMAGE>>>RESIZE>>>IMAGE SIZE

Change the pixel dimension width to 700 but before you do this make sure that the box is ticked that says "constrain proportions" Click OK

Next... VIEW>>>PRINT SIZE

Next... FILE>>>SAVE FOR WEB You need to look at the save for web windows carefully. The left hand window shows you the image you are working on with its file size at the bottom of the window and the image on the right is what it will look like when saved for web with its file size underneath it.

Change the settings on the right in the drop down boxes... make sure the second one down one says "jpeg" and then underneath that you have the choice of maximum, high, medium and low... When you change this setting you will see that the file size reduces as well under the right hand window...

You need to make the file size of the right hand window less than 150K

Once you have done that click on OK and save the image in a new directory called "saved for web"

Then make a post and use the additional options in the post form to browse to the image. When you click post the image will upload automatically....

Lets see if you can get the hang of this and then we'll see about showing you some cropping and other fancy stuff...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline judith

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 19:35 PM »
Clive,
 :dancing:  I think we've done it! Thankyou sooo much! The spider is coming up next.  :clapping:
Judith