• 1 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Hi all,

I just read that scientists are testing genetically modified lady birds in the greenhouses of Almeria in order to slow down the use of pesticides used to control red spider mite and greenhouse white fly.
http://www.theolivepress.es/2008/03/17/superbug-rescues-plastic-crops/

Whilst I can see the logic in this I do find it a bit worrying that GM insects are being released in this way. What if the GM version is so successful it drives out all other ladybird species? What if some species of ladybirds are important pollinators?

A similar subject is over on the mammal board with regards to a GM cure for myxamotosis.
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=812.0

So, apart from the usual GM maize and wheat food crops being widely used here in Iberia. Is there anything else being tested? What about GM bees or GM lynx that can live on a diet of duck and don't need rabbit as a food source?

Is there a list anywhere on the internet showing current practical studies on GM projects? I can't find one....

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 19:20 PM »
Why is it that Mother Nature is just not good enough for some people? I've argued the case against with a scientist who works/ed for that company beginning with "N" (spit) from cuckoo clock land but it's hard arguing with a scientist who sees in black and white and doesn't experience uncomfortable feelings when what I have is just a feeling and what I think is common sense. (I know, it's money.) We're still friends, I think.
Anyway, try looking in Spanish google. Transgénico/as is the usual term, I think, in Spanish or OMG. Here's Greenpeace Spain.
What's particularly annoying with the ladybirds is that "they" were on the right track with biological control but then "they" had to go and ruin it  >:(
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.