Iberianature Forum

Shroom ID Please

• 5 Replies

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« on: March 31, 2008, 22:36 PM »
Hola

Found this group of mushrooms in a Pine and Oak wood. I think they are Flame Caps of some discription and definately not edible.

Any confirmations as to what species?  They have a cream colour gills. 

This could be one for TP?
alfredo
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 23:09 PM »
Greetings alfredo,
Por muy (En. anyone?) prescient, omnipresent, etc. we 6-star Full Shroomies may be, we do find ourselves hampered on occasions by the lack of collaboration from the parties of the third part, especially as regards the posting - not - of the relevant visual evidence and other useful clues, tips, hints, cues, etc. to a possible ID.

The fact that you've already decided yer 'shrooms are inedible suggests, however, that you were not planning to snarf 'em for dinner tonight, so I can at least sleep tranquilo tonight.

On tenterhook regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:00 AM »
Come on Tp, you can do better than that...

Pine woods, but with oak trees in.... Surely it's obvious... :)

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 16:33 PM »
Greetings All,
Found myself with ten minutes of spare time on me hands and spent it preparing a tentative answer, copied it with a view to pasting and posting it here, deleted the draft version and have since found that I lost it all, so am calmly starting from scratch.

My gut feeling is that we’re talking Russula here. This gut reaction is due to Clive’s sudden interest in the topic and is not what I would instinctively go for, but as a working hypothesis, here goes. Can’t remember offhand whether there are thousands or just hundreds of Russula species, but most of ‘em are hard to identify, which is why for example, when you’ve found a red Russula and are pretty sure it’s a R. emetica, the odds are it ain’t. There are around 130 Russulas with a red cap (pileus), and of those, 80-odd have a red cap and a white stem.

So, as no mention was made of the colour of the cap, this would be my first request, as it would also be, in principle, the most identifiable part of the “bicho”. (Believe that and you’ll believe anything!)

Other factors that yours truly would like to know, offhand, are the following:

i.   size of cap
ii.   colour of stem
iii.   exact colour of the gills
iv.   does the cap peel?
v.   Taste – acrid, bitter, etc.
vi.   Reaction of the stem or cap when bruised
vii.   Smell – fishy, mouldy, etc.

Or of course it could be an Amanita, as in muscaria or Amanita phalloides (death cap) but the gills on the latter are slightly greenish … usually …

Or as alfredo mentioned a group, or possibly a cluster, how 'bout Laughing Jim - Gymnopilus spectabilis ...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 23:04 PM »
Sorry TP

Cant believe I expected you to ID a description.  Here is the photo I was 'supposed' to have posted.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 23:10 PM »
Here is another photo, these look like they have seen a bit too much sun.  I think they are the same shroom, just bigger.

Any ideas?

www.spanishfootsteps.com