Incredible rainfall statistics for Grazalema

• 12 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: April 08, 2008, 22:46 PM »
After posting in the weather thread and taking a look outside our door to see my garden looking like a rice paddy field  I just tried to work out the mathematics of how many litres of water has fallen here over the last 24 hours..... Its mind boggling....

The stats....

We have had 100 litres of rain per square metre over the last 24 hours...

The lake at Zahara de la Sierra has a surface area of approximately 723,000 metres squared. (723 hectares)

The Protected land of The Sierra de Grazalema natural park covers approximately 52,000 hectares or 5.200,000 metres squared.

So the surface area of the lake has received 723,000 X 100 = 72 million three hundred thousand litres....

The Sierra de Grazalema as a whole (the park bit anyway) 5.200,000 metres X 100 = five hundred and twenty million litres.....

Five hundred and twenty million litres? that cant be right... Can someone check my maths.....

Average household usage per person in a city is 250 litres per person....

520 000000 divided by 250 equals 2.080 000...

Just a small amount of rainfall in one day here using very loose figures produces enough water for two million people...? That can't be right. Can it?

Grazalema can get as much as and sometimes more than 2000 litres per square metre per year...

5 200 000 X 2 000 = 10 400 000 000  (I don't know how to say that number in words....!)

10 400 000 000 / 250 = 41 600 000

In other words one year of rainfall in Grazalema is the equivalent to the water consumed by forty one million six hundred thousand citizens in one day..... Hang on a minute... Am I saying that the years rainfall in Grazalema produces a days water supply for the entire population of Spain? That can't be right.... Help! There are forty odd million people in Spain?

But of course if you collected it all as it fell and drank it I would, of course, be living in a desert!

Tired now.... and i am happy to be corrected... maths is not my best subject and whilst i wrote this post there has been another 20 mm in my rain collector so add one fith to all the totals.....

Clive
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:45 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 23:13 PM »
Greetings Clive,
Rice paddy field? Sounds like a classic case of bad drainage. They'd never employ you as Head Groundsman at Wimbledon  :technodevil:
Do your mindless stats. for average household consumption include golf courses or are those stats even more mind-boggling?
Regs,.
Technopat
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:46 PM by Wildside »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 23:23 PM »
Well now Tp....

10400000000 /1000000 = 10400

So if a golf course uses 1 million litres of water a day then an average years rainfall here in Grazalema would be enough for ten thousand and four hundred days of irrigation......

As for my paddy fields you have got it all wrong.... Before I terraced and re shaped the land, when it rained all my topsoil got washed away in the flash floods... Now due to cunning landscaping techniques, when it rains the water is retained and filters into the ground instead of running off taking nutrients with it...

There is however a very nice well drained piece of land on high ground reserved for Tp this weekend..... :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:46 PM by Wildside »

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:01 AM »
Greetings Clive,
Terracing and cunning landscaping sounds impressive - but just in case, I'll pitch me tent on a couple of spare wood pallets - so I can float away, Noah-like from the top of yer piece of high ground (visions of Technopat sailing away into the distance, waving hanky, aboard Kon-Tiki-like craft).

Still a couple of obstacles to overcome (did I mention the clutch going on the ol' carbonfootprint yesterday?)

Have got me bottles of Juve y Camps, but they might not make it to Grazalema ...

And just to stay on topic, as of 2:10 a.m. Wednesady it's still p***ing down in Madrid - hasn't let up all day  :dancing:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Another 20 litres overnight here :) Add another fith to the above totals....

Tp, How many litres has fallen on Madrid city during the last 48 hours? How's your maths.......

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:47 PM by Wildside »

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 13:38 PM »
There was a deluge this morning with a little thunder and lightening just to add a bit of drama, the lettuce are in need of water wings as another 31 litres per metre fell in half an hour. It is the most we have seen fall here yet, what timing heh!!!

Here is a quick photo tour taken this morning:

1) Veggie area by the house won't need watering for a few days!

2) Clive testing out Tp's tent pitch, yep those pegs will go in easy peasy!!

3) The usually dry arroyo may need to have it's bank raised just a little

4) The field behind the house draining freely

5) The tiny pond before the stream runs into the lake is an ideal spot for Markus (travelling from Finland for the Grazalema summit) to search out reptiles and amphibians?!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:47 PM by Wildside »
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 19:14 PM »
Wow!  I'll be able to test how waterproof my hiking boots are - or maybe wellington boots are in order, like at Glastonbury.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 23:37 PM »
Tent pegs? Knew I'd forgotten to pack something ...

Just to stay on topic bit longer, amazing coincidence: my last rain update (2:10 a.m. Wednesday) coincides almost exactly with the AEmet's (Spain's Met. agency).
Trouble is, they don't give any clue as to what the 6 means - 6mm/ litres/m3/hour? - (the previous day's accumulated was 10 whatevers) and surely I can't be expected to know such technicalities. Any ideas?

Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
¬°Vaya arroyo! Sorry! - couldn't resist that one  :dancing:

P*S.
Yer watercolours are great!
P*PS.
I've always heard it said that the rain's good for the crops, but what about vegetable patches?

Offline ceejay

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 17:33 PM »
That's a lot of water Clive, you might need a blow up boat to paddle around in. Glad it was on the outside, ours was inside bubbling up from the floor in our bathroom. Lots of fun you should of seen the neighbours place we were ankle deep in water brooming it out for hours. The storm water drains aren't able to cope here in Spain.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Wow that really is an amazing amount of water you guys have and I thought we had done well with 24mm in 4 days  :biggrin:
The only time ive seen water like that here was last September (my birthday to be exact) when we had some freak storm which was like being in a hurricane, the sky went an emerald green colour, rain, hail, thunder, lightening and wind all in half hour!! Terrible damage done. The video is quite funny to watch now.

Have a great summit meeting, will be thinking of you all.

Maria

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 17:00 PM »
Well, its cleared up here a bit thought temperatures have dropped. Grazalema has recorded over 250mm of water over the last three days and on our house which is 7KM away we have recorded around 180... The difference between our side of the hill and the Grazalema side is an interesting observation...

Clive

Offline judith

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 20:03 PM »
 :o Wow!!!! We thought we'd had a lot of rain in Extremadura, but looking at your pics, we had no more than a 5 day spring shower!
Our top lawn (aka field, but we have aspirations!) was also like a paddy field, but only for a day, then it drained away. The land drain I dug in January has now come into it's own and for a while we had our very own Cascada. However, Peanuts first attempt at repairing the dry stonewall on that terrace failed miserably, washed away with contempt, so it's back to the books and the drawing board!
Our arroyas did not burst their banks, but you took your life in your hands when trying to drive the car down the track....very very very slippery and more like driving on ice,,,with supposed drainage channels on either side of the track....we were lucky not to tip the car into one of them.
Hope it clears up for the weekend; it's supposed to in this area, but haven't looked at yours!
No danger of drought in your area this year then????

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 21:41 PM »
Well the skies cleared for a few days but the rain is back.....

Yesterday and today we have had another hundred litres and the river looks just like the pictures I posted before.....

total now for this month is almost 300 litres per square metre at our house and it is raining hard now so I guess we will have another 40 litres tonight...

The lake at Zahara is filling up again, though it does still have a very long way to go.....