Swimming pools in Iberia

• 5 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: April 23, 2008, 20:47 PM »
Weather here today has been beautiful so I have been able to get into the pool for the 2nd time this year to empty out, clean and refill.   Last time I did it was only 2 weeks ago and then we had the winds and the rain move in to fill it full of leaves and silt.  So, hang onto your hats folks.
Tony

Hi all,

From the what's happening weather topic I took the above quote....Tony, I am not attacking you but your words provoked my thought process....

How many pools are there in Iberia?
What is the water cleaning system used?

If the majority of pools use chlorine, what alternatives are available?

Why do they use chlorine and not an alternative?

What system of pool purification the school kids learn to swim in, use?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Glad you are not attacking me Clive.  I hate having to waste water, but fortunately the pool feeds my irrigation system when being emptied, and luckily the chlorine content had evaporated away.
Considering the drought situation I always feel it is terrible that (I am the last in line on the water system here from Tosca) after it leaves my garden it just falls into the barranc where it eventually seeps into the ground.  Still I suppose that it goes towards adding to the water table, providing for the plant and ultimately animal life.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Hi Tony, Interesting that you use the pool as an irrigation system as well, Do you have it linked in to pipes or tubes that then water individual trees and plants? Absolutely right once the sun has broken down the chlorine it is safe to use as irrigation water...

Most of my experience of pools is down on the Costa del Sol where they almost all leak and the filter backwashing system goes straight in the drains killing off the beneficial bacteria that is controlling that "drain smell" Contrary to popular belief the smell that comes up from the drains is that of dead bacteria killed by chlorine and bleaches....

I wonder how many pools there are in Iberia and how much chlorine is purchased to keep them clean on a yearly basis. How is chlorine made and where do they make it?

A lot of people use  a salt system which is a lot safer for the environment but more expensive to install.....

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 13:37 PM »
Greetings All,
I've heard of salt being used - but are we talking natural, common-or-garden/sea salt here, or some kind of artificially-produced salt crystals marketed as salt?
I would imagine natural salt products would play havoc with pool filtering equipment.
On the other hand, of course, salt water is particularily beneficial to skin disorders and would be interesting from that aspect alone, if not from any other.
Kilos/salt per litres/poolwater anyone?
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 22:30 PM »
Hi Clive
It is a very simple system.
The pool empties into the pipe that normally supplies the system, and this is just fed around the garden by means of narrow trenches amongst the vegetables and trees.  No piping or tubing involved - just open up the stop cock and let the water flow into the trenches.  Very old fashioned system that works, and apparently this method of watering orange trees by flooding the land is being used more often nowadays.  Good job that I am not getting my water from any agency supplied source, but straight from the springs.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 14:57 PM »
Greetings All,
Given the approaching summer (with record highs (?) and our 3rd or is already 4th year of officially declared drought), together with the worrying number of swimming pools in Spain, both public and private, I think this thread definitely needs to be developed further, as in local water restrictions being applied - or not, as the case may be.
A-self-confessed-ex-two-showers-a-day-when-working-in-summer*-person regs.,
Technopat

*though for the last few years have made serious - and mostly successful - attempts to reduce my work to a.m. only during summer months and then spending the rest of the day drowning in me own sweat. It's little sacrifices like that that make me a better person in each and every way and each and every day - whoops! is that copyright? :dancing:

PS.
That other excessive water consumer, the golf course, has its own dedicated thread here.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266